Obtain Space for Pipes

Wondering if Element.space not working for pipe/ pipe fitting elements? Is there an obvious reason or I am missing something?

I want the pipes to report the room they are in.

I understand they are not like loadable families to have a room calculation point - but how do i get their space.

I have tried the tool get surrounding elements but my definition is taking forever and look to make it leaner.

Regards,

John

3 Likes

Because pipes can be in multiple spaces at once there is no Space property for them.
To get the desired space you will have to specify a point on the pipe and then use that point to figure out which space the pipe is in.
You can get the space of a point with the following node from the MEPover package:

I made a little post about this a while back:
https://ibl.nl/bim/room-calculation-points-for-everybody.html

3 Likes

Thats a very interesting and clever solution. Well done and thanks!

One point before i close this - you use a node called Element.GetLocation which must have been superseeded.

Is equivalent to element get geometry i.e. get the geometry of my model into Dynamo ?

Thanks

John

1 Like

@T_Pover Any ideas why it doesnt read the coordinates?

Error: ERror

1 Like

You are inputting solids instead of points. The Element.GetLocation node has been a standard node for a while now. Are you using an older version of Dynamo?
You can also you Clockwork’s Location node as alternative.

Ofcourse! Been a while since i used it.

Thank you T_Pover!

1 Like

I dont have any phase on my elements. is that an issue?

I cant satisfy your Phase Input

Not having a phase on your element is near impossible. The phase input is to select the phase the Spaces are created in. Just select a space in your model and look at the “Phase Created” parameter, that’s the phase you need to select.

1 Like

I know I am being greedy but what about the nulls?

get surrounding elements? or there is probably no space?

1 Like

@T_Pover I see in your definition you got some nulls as well…

Is that a node limitation or model issue? - space is not assigned etc?

Its the low level/ high level.

I see now and find it even smarter! thx

1 Like

Hello ! can you please share with us this script ?