Node to create Scope Box?

when searching dynamo for scope, I get about 8 nodes but none of them sound like they create scope box, more return information related to a scope box that already exist. Do I need to add another package? I’m sure there’s something in the API that would use C# or Python, but surely, I’m not the first person to want to create a scope box programmatically?
I found this thread from 2015 suggesting the API is closed off and I’ve heard 2024 adds new features for scopeboxes, but we’re still working with 2023 today.

I believe there still isn’t the ability to create/edit scope boxes in 2024 even, checked the API summary and can find something about scope box heights but not much more than that. Revit API docs hasn’t had 2024 added yet either so hard to confirm… mention of it here:

https://portal.productboard.com/aec-bid/7-architecture-revit-public-roadmap/c/51-enable-scope-box-height-parameter-property

You can copy scope boxes then rename them, but not resize them I believe. I just snooped a scope box in Dynamo for Revit 2024 and can’t see any method that would appear to modify the location of a scope box. Can’t see a class for them either so assume they wont have methods for creation/setting based on this also.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight @GavinCrump that was my next thought was create some generics in the template and then rename and size as needed, but that doesn’t even sound like an option. odd they’d leave this out of the API, I mean it has to be there for Scope Boxes to work, so why not include it with the rest?

The API is a further layer of work added on top of the source code in Revit I believe. They didn’t begin exposing it for people to call on until much later than most tools in Revit were written. Generally for new features they add API as they go, but older features are generally either exposed at a later date or still unexposed. To my understanding they have to rewrite the code for some tools in order to enable API to be provided as well, so it can take a while. Other examples would be creating keynotes and until recently modifying linked model settings in VG overrides.

2 Likes

my background is Web Development where the API is often written as the program directly and not just an access layer. Like if I call an end point that’s usually the code I wanted. I guess they often do call code in other packages, but that’s a false assumption on my part that the API is the first layer of where Revit executes.

1 Like

Scope boxes are a long standing request… I have managed to relocate existing ones, and copy them an external source, however resizing proven difficult.

1 Like