New to here and dynamo

You can try something like this:

ok i was able to get the scope boxes to be listed out. (one list of quadrants and one of segments). however when i add the code block [quad + " - " + seg;] it is giving me a list that is totally different.

i left what i did above, and followed what you gave in your screen shot. now with that list, when i connect those to the UI.Listview Data - i have the segments connected to “values” and the quadrants connected to “keys”

when i hit run i get the dialog box pop up but it is only showing the 4 quadrants. no segments.

i have removed what i did being that you showed be how i can make it work. so that is no longer on there. just thought that i would leave it there so you can see how far off i was. lol

You need your segment scope boxes to be grouped.

i thought that this was the group that was created? maybe i missed something. i will go back and double check.

Yup. Sorry, somehow missed that the first time. Now you have your list of quadrant views per level/discipline and their dependents (segments).

so after getting the two lists together, i am trying to tie everything up to work a little smoother. when i get the pop up it is only showing me the quadrant scope boxes rather than showing all of them.

i have set up the quadrants to the keys and the segments to the values and this is what is popping up.

i tried to switch those around and it it gives me this!

so clearly i am missing something here.

also here is the current layout of the script.

again thank you for all your help with this.

To be honest, you’re trying to do quite a lot as a new user. It’s best to learn the nodes and the basics before tackling something like this. The keys are what is visible in the selection node (usually the name) and the value is the actual object that is being passed through the node when selected (usually the element). As I said before, you only want to do the quadrants first. The segments will be duplicated after you have the quadrant views created.

I have a tutorial on my channel which covers exactly what you’re trying to do I think… maybe it will help with your workflow. I believe my method is one of the more efficient ones (and also uses a data shapes UI).

Wow! Well I have to say that most of that script came from watching that video! So thank you for that!

Where I was running into an issue was that being that my view names had the name of the scope boxes in them, it was doubling up to the new views.

With the latest changes from all the above posts I am trying to research on how to tie these all together.

I will agree with Nick, and say that maybe I am buying off more than I can chew for being so green. But I am the type that likes to challenge myself. And once I understand (for the most part) everything in this script I can start playing around with it more. If you might have some other suggestions or would like the script to see what has been done by all means please message me.
But again thank you for your videos I have watch most of them over the last few weeks

2 Likes

Haha awesome! Small world in Dynamo land…

The quadrant/segment breakdown looks pretty complex. If your scope boxes are named with both their quadrant or their segment ( by quadrant) however I would have thought it’s a pretty similar workflow still though as the resultant scope box names would have to be unique.

If you only want the user to choose between applying segments or quadrants I would follow Nicks suggestion in filtering view and scope box for contains ‘Quadrant’ or ‘Segments’ and a filter to ensure that dependent views are excluded before going to the UI. I probably should have included this in my workflow video - there is a node in Rhythm to detect if a view has a ‘Parent’. See below how you could filter these;

In regards to how the user nominates quadrants or segments, you could do either a 2 stage UI (data shapes can be ‘staged’ so that data stops multiple times) or you could make a dynamo player input such as a boolean where True means quadrants, False means sectors. This would then filter by one or the other, so the user only sees quadrant views/sectors or segment views/sectors.

As Nick stated, the workflow is getting quite complex for a green user, but keep pursuing it if it is a problem you ‘want’ to solve to help your work - these are often the best ways to learn as the pressure to solve a real problem keeps the enthusiasm going (and makes the reward for solving it all the more sweeter!).

Also on an unrelated note, the scope box naming and complexity has me thinking of this…

2 Likes

That’s awesome!

There is no doubt that the setup is complex. Most of our projects are on a larger scale so they will be broken down into quadrants and within each of the quadrants there will be a given number of segments. So currently during project setup we are having two duplicate our views that we want four quadrants, segments, or any other view that we might need as a dependent.
What would the best is to have scope boxes named quadrants (any given number) and segments (any given number) that we are able to select a given view that we want to create as a dependent and a sign that view a specific scope box. A typical project for us, is roughly 350 to 450 Sheets.

As this script is set up currently, I have scope boxes named such as quadrant one, quadrant 1 – segment a. In reality our scope boxes, are named quadrant 1 and segment a. I guess the breaking down to separate lists doesn’t make total sense to me. It’s almost like having scope boxes 1-10 and you are breaking them down to list the odd and even numbers. But of course being green, I am sure that there is a reason for doing it this way.

With the original walkthrough from your video, I was able to get the script to work however, it was just adding additional naming to what it was creating.

So I guess I am not sure where to go from here.

1 Like

hey nick,

OK so i have totally started over with this script. I have been reading and doing further web searching on some things. I have looked at what you provided for splitting the list out and having them be grouped together.

I went back into the model and changed the names of the scope boxes to just be quadrant 1 thru quadrant 4, segment-A thru segment-R. (only reason i am not just using 1,2,3,4 - A-R (for some reason we don’t use i or o, but doesn’t bother me) is because that is not the typical naming that we use. and i would rather be as close as i can.)

I have (well i think) a list showing quadrants at level 0 and segments at level 1. not sure that it matters much but me being picky, how do I reconstruct this list so that things are in correct order?

@GavC

Make sure you’re filtering the elements and using Sort and GroupByKey. You’re going to be maintaining the element list in parallel with the list of names. The first thing would be to split them into two separate lists. The hard part is now going to be determining which segments go with which quadrants. Hopefully it’s as straight forward as quadrant 1 has the first four segments, quadrant 2 has the next four, etc. If this is the case you can just sort both lists and then chop the segment list into sublists of four items each.

so i just want to make sure that i am totally understanding the list break down. if we have the given scope boxes given above, is there a reason that they would need to be split into separate lists? each view that is going to be created will only have one scope box. i am sure that you are aware of that, i guess i am just not understanding why it is needed to separate them out like that.

You’ll be splitting them into quadrant and segment lists because the graph should split at this point. You need to handle them separately because the views for each need to be created separately.

ok, that would make sense. so being that i have renamed them (no longer having quadrant name to each segment scope box) I was able to get them split like this. is this something that would work?

Yup! Now you’ll likely need to sort them (and the actual scope box elements) and create subgroups of the segment scope boxes for each quadrant.

Well i have to say that i am struggling to figure out how to be able to create subgroups for the scope boxes. so i decided to take what i have done with the scope boxes and put that into the original script that i was putting together.

i disconnected things here:

with doing that, i was able to get the ui.multipleinput++ pop-up window to show the following:

it is nice to finally see that the scope boxes are finally broken out between quadrants and segments. i know that i shouldn’t have jumped back in there to see if that would work, but i just wanted to check it.

but back to working with just the scope boxes, i have searched the web looking for additional information on subcategories and maybe i am not looking in the correct place, but i am struggling with finding it.