Need help creating a Revit room tag driven by Dynamo script

I am 100% new to Dynamo, so my understanding of it’s interoperability with Revit could be entirely wrong, but I hope by explaining what my goal is I can get enough direction to put it all together.

Within Revit my project’s rooms are setup with an URL instance parameter, which are populated with the web link from my render gallery to access the rendered 3D panorama. What I need is a room tag that I can place on my floor plan that will recognize the room it is in, and use the URL parameter from the room to generate a QR code, and then show the QR code as the room tag. This would allow my clients, consultants, & contractors to simply scan the QR code from any room on the plans for instant access to a 3d parametric rendering of the space.

I believe a room tag family is what I need to build this from, with the Dynamo script embedded into the tag family to make it’s implementation simple & repeatable within Revit, but I am clueless on how to go about doing this or if it’s even possible with Dynamo.
In Dynamo I have been able to successfully generate QR codes based off a URL (typed into a code block), but I have no idea how to embed the Dynamo script into a room tag family, or how to get it to draw the URL from the room it is placed within, OR how to get the QR code image to appear as a 2D symbol in the room tag family (to ultimately display in the Revit floor plan).

How can I achieve this? (& am I even remotely close?)

hi @Javan_C

Welcome to the Dynamo Forums. Please read the topic below on how to get help.

-biboy

The largest chokepoint that I’m seeing in your workflow is actually getting unique QR codes to display in your tag. Images are schedulable, but not readily taggable.

Labels can include image parameter fields, but you just wind up returning the image name, not the actual image.

You can insert Symbols and Regions into a tag family, but this means you would have to build the pixel logic into the family now… the last time I checked QR codes could run upwards of 30000 pixels.

You might have more success by locating the element, retrieving the URL, building the QR code, then placing an image (not a tag) at that element location. It won’t have that smart association but it’s functionally similar to the end-user.