Missing Parameters of Project Base Point Element

Hello,

It is so strange that I cannot get the parameters of E/W, N/S, Elev of Project Base Point Element with Dynamo, although I can with Survey Point.

It did not happen in the past but suddenly I noticed that strange behaviour, maybe because Revit updates? I am using Revit 2021.1.4

wait till you try Revit2022 :slight_smile:

It still working.

Home.dyn (6.7 KB)

1 Like

Can you show us the element you’re querying? We can’t help you if we can’t see what you’re doing.

1 Like

very strange, it worked perfect before, I do not know why Project Base Point does not get the parameters. I was just thinking maybe it is Revit upgraded from 2021.1.3 to 2021.1.4 the difference or maybe a dynamo issue not Revit because I can see the information in properties panel of Revit.

I would have to find a workaround to know the information with geometry or with python instead OOTB nodes

You’re interrogating linked ones there, new variable to consider. Looks like they’re not able to report their data which sortof makes sense given how Revit handles the coordinates between models.

Have you tried Python at least to see if that is a viable alternative?

I tried Genius Loci node called Get Project Locations and it works fine but I do not want to use packages in this script

Hi @ruben.romero the same topic has been already solved:

Cheers

I think that you have to use python in this case…
Cheers

1 Like

in that case just copy and paste Albans node and insert in python node…dont understand why but its an option

I agree it is a good alternative, although I do not agree with the coordinates number precision of the output and I do not know how to modify the script or the output to make the numbers more accurate, it does rounding to 3 digits I guess but I do not fully understand how Revit works with numbers, but what I do is convert to string the numbers then I can see the 12 decimals instead of 3

This is a ridiculous degree of precision, in any unit of measure. Going with the biggest unit I can think of without jumping to stellar units (a degree of latitude or longitude) you’re measuring in units so small that you are working with fractions of a molecule.

At the equator longitude and latitude is about 111 kilometers. This is a lot, but working with 0.000000000001 is so very, very tiny tiny… in fact it is about 2/3 the size of a glucose molecule, or 1/100,000 as long as a human hair is wide.

I bring this up as any time you start using numbers with that many decimals you are apt to get floating point errors, something which you will need to consider. If possible I suggest rounding to a reasonable size relative to your units, and stick to the old timer draftsman’s rule of thumb: if you won’t be able to measure it on site, don’t show it.

5 Likes

Yes Jacob…I have never build buildings or component with this precision …probably their do in Nasa

2 Likes

I agree but Revit gives me for same point in different project files different number decimals without asking any precision, and I am expecting all numbers are identical between all projects, at least when reporting

The point is that it’s too precise for Revit to track, so you should be rounding anyway. We see this a lot with Dynamo reporting false precision and values not matching with Revit. Rounding is the only way to remedy this.

I believe this is a project setting for tolerance. Either way if you know what units you are in you should be able to set that value to a reasonable degree of accuracy for the type of work you do.

and not only Revit every floating point software had a limit, so our pc dont crash in memery :wink:

2 Likes