MEP system families routing preferences

Hi all,

I’m wondering if it is possible to change the routing preferences of excisting pipe types in a Revit project? or create new pipe types and modify those according to routing preferences that is needed?

I want to create/modify multiple series of pipe types, for that I need to configure the fittings used as elbows, junction type, transions ect. Also the ability to change pipe segment is crucial.

I hope someone out there can help me with this.

I’ve attached a picture showing what I need to change using Dynamo.

Best regards Lars

Why not just duplicate types? Do you just want to have one type and use Dynamo to change fittings? If you need to move these settings from project to project then you could use transfer project standards. If you are trying to change fittings out by pipe type you can use change type. You have to select the pipe run and apply the type. So I am not understanding the need for this. Please elaborate on what you are trying to accomplish.

Hi JMora,

Duplicating types through Dynamo is possible. However I havent found any method or workaround for changing the routing preferences for duplicated pipes nor ducts. I find it very interresting to create a UI (using Data-Shapes) for all available pipe types when starting-up new projects. Currently we utilize a setup where the users imports pipe types using “Transfer Project Standards”, however it import 100+ different pipe types. FYI Pharmaceutical research projects or Hospitals projects requires many different types. Not every of those 100+ pipe type is used. If I somehow could manage the routing preferences, I could create a better start-up procedure enabling transperancy and consistency of utilized pipe types in all the large and complex projects that we model. Hope this elaborates the need for managing routing preferences :slight_smile:

Best regards Lars

I’m trying to accomplish the same thing (I think). A script that will create new pipe types as needed for a project. I have a Dynamo script that duplicates the Default and creates the names, but I don’t know how to change the routing preferences.

I found some articles that seem to be on the same track

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-api-forum/get-pipe-segment-parameter-and-compare-it-to-project-pipe/m-p/5518983#M8877

but I can’t quite figure out how to set the pipe segment of the pipe type I create using Python.

I was able to find some great hints to help me resolve my issue…

I realized from these two posts I needed to create a rule to assign the routing preferences.