Lunchbox

hello everybody
I created a structure as you see in the picture. i used lunchbox . but the problem is that i don’t want to connect the points by line. they have to be curves. and another thing that i have to noticed was that the out put of the final structure should be a “line” for next develops.
is there any idea for it?
thanks a lot in advance!

I’m a bit confused by your question, as the output is a line, and the next step requires a line, but you want a curve… but a line…

In any case, you have options:

Option 1: Convert the diagrid into curves by either using a Curve.PullOntoSurface node which will result in mildly curved versions of the lines which connect the diagrid points. These will be fairly straight, but will have a slight bow which follows the shape of the surface to some extent. This is a single node connected to first the diagrid lines, and then the surface. Should be no need for more explanation here.

Option 2: Use the points output to create something more similar to an isocurve using the Curve.ByParameterLineOnSurface node. This workflow is as follows:

• Transpose the points from the diagrid node so you have a list of start points and a list of end points for each segment.
  • Convert the points to UV values on the surface using a Surface.UVParameterAtPoint node.
  • Use a List.FirstItem and a List.LastItem to pull the lists of start and end UVs from the assembled list of lists.
  • Use a Curve.ByParameterLineOnSurface to get a curve from the start and end point of each UV combo.

If you’re getting more complex with your shape, the second option can be executed a little bit more efficiently by condensing it into two lines of design script (saving on RAM), which can be compacted a bit further via a single custom definition (saving even more).

thank you so much .

No problem. Let us know if you get stuck or if it’s a success. :slight_smile:

thank you for answering. I used these options but it didn’t worked. i don’t know why. nothing changed. the general question is: i want to create this form in this picture. what is the way to model this in dynamo?

Option 2 should work (you’ll need to account for the ornimentation though). Can you post what you tried so far so we can help you course correct?

Took a stab at this cuz it looked fun, and sorta reminded me of a big Christmas tree. Winds up it is fun, and I learned a bit in the hour or so it took to do it.

First up I had to recreate the initial surface. I wanted to keep it neat though, and save as much RAM as possible, so I did this as a single design script function. One output, many nested functions, more efficient resources.

Next I created some fairly simple function definitions, mostly because I wanted to try calling a custom node inside a custom function for testing in Project Refinery later.

Then I went to work creating the actual content. 13 design script functions later, I had this:

And then I set about coding the content display. Nothing too ground breaking here. A future me might use some image mapping instead of solid colors, but my high value runs had something like 30,000+ final geometries, so my CPU was already mad enough at me, so perhaps keeping it simple was best for now.

Lastly I went back and labeled the inputs and set my min/max constraints on them.

Hope this helps you find your way. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Woww.:heart_eyes: you write custom nodes for it . thank you for spending time on it. I should work on it .

Just have to say, that’s a truely awesome one hour worked example!

2 Likes

Is there any references to learn Dynamo programming ? i mean writing custom nodes in dynamo.

Hey,

I presume you are referring to design script? That Jacob used in the code blocks?

You don’t need coding to create custom nodes…

I don’t believe there is a guide to design script, however if you select a chunk of your graph, right click in the workspace and hit Node To Code you will see how it is translated.

Hope that helps,

Mark

To learn Dynamo, start with the Primer.

After that, if you’ll have a better understanding of which ‘direction’ you want to take Dynamo. Python focused efforts? Custom nodes? Design Script? Revit interaction? Pretty much anything is possible, but you have to have the foundation which is what the primer provides.

Be sure to do every exercise, skipping nothing. Even if you think you’d never need the end result, do the exercise. The entire site is organized in a way to teach the concepts in reference to a practical application. The concepts being the important bit.

If you have questions on the concept stuff in the Primer, first search this forum and try to learn from those who walked this path before you. If you don’t see your question answered after a few searches, then start a new topic and someone will be along shortly to help you out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes