Looking for a way to automatically reload all families within a revit file from the families file path

Hi, all I’m pretty new to dynamo but got a good idea on how it works, I’m looking for some help on extracting the file paths of all the families within my Revit family and reloading them in, overwriting their types if possible. I have a lot of families that get updated regularly and want the current file I’m working on to reimport all the updated family changes. I have managed to reload families by using the family name and adding a prefix as a file path and a suffix as a file extension. But this only works if my families are in one folder location which they are not.
There are all over the place, can someone tell me how to extract or display the family file locations in the dynamo and if there’s a better way to reload them in. This would be great as I’m totally baffled.

I don’t think Revit keeps the original path, so likely your best bet is to either simplify the locations or build a new parameter into each family and store the path there.

1 Like

What about filtering a list of all your on-file families with their file paths with a list of families within a project?

My suggested method that I use is to run a deep search across your family library, and find the matching file names in there which returns their path. Can be quite slow for large file counts but bypasses the issue with files not knowing their absolute path.

This sounds like what you suggested @sparkyduke. This can be done with a deep search enabled directory contents node, then retrieve just the file name from the returned paths. Combine an index.of and getitematindex to retrieve the relevant path (if any).

This works until someone has to rename families to meet a BXP which requires additional classification. I think baking the path as a hidden parameter or into extensible storage for each RFA would be more ‘fool proof’, and once set up would scale quite nicely.

Potentially you could even add an event listener to ‘grab and store the path’ any time a family is loaded into the job…

2 Likes