Lofting Options for Revit

Hi All,

I’m creating forms in Revit using Point Data from an Excel Spreadsheet. I can generate the points in Dynamo, however I am trying to find a solution for Revit to generate a lofted surface from either the curve or points from Dynamo.

I’ve tested creating forms from points using Adaptive families, however the downside to this solution is I need to plot each point in the family. The example surface in the image below uses 120 points. Is there a way that I can generate geometry in a Revit Project file using the generated curves? and then lofting it in some way?

C01

You’re 99% there. Just run the nurbs curves through a “Surface.ByLoft” to generate the surface and then send it to revit with the “ImportInstance.ByGeometries” node :slight_smile:

2014-10-08_104814

Tho if you want to be able to adjust the geometry manually in revit, you might prefer to send the Nurb curves directly with the “ModelCurve.ByCurve” Node and then manually loft them inside Revit.

Thanks Dimitar! did not know about that import option. .

What kind of object is the Instance geometry when it goes into Revit? Since it isn’t a Revit object, we can’t apply material to it right?

The process that I am trying to create needs to be quite autonomous because the Excel file will have point data for 50 surfaces similar to the one in the example. So manually placing each one would not be efficient for time. An option I did try was to break down the surface into panels, to place adaptive families. However, this caused a rigged surface.

I’ll give your option a try and see what I can do with it. Thanks again!

Hello Danny Nguyen,

Look at attached graph, where I am creating Form directly in Revit instead of importing it. Is this what you are looking for ?

If you import a Geometry using ImportInstance.ByGeometry then that will be a mass in Revit.

Do let me know if you have more questions on Placement of Adaptive Components and other.

Thanks,

Ritesh

SurfaceInRevit

Good thinking, Ritesh. I think that’s exactly what Danny needs if he’s going to have to place 50 of those forms.

Thanks for your reply Ritesh.

The example you have is generating inside an Adaptive Family, correct?

I was looking for a process in which Dynamo can generate lofted curves directly into a project environment at specific placements I have set out in my Excel spreadsheet. I’m thinking I may need to upload the lofted curve into an adaptive family, and then have Dynamo assign the location of the family in project.

I will see how I go with it, and update if it works out.

Thanks!