Loft between two curves failing

Hi All,

I have created a simple topo surface in Revit. It will be handy if I can give this surface a thickness with a flat bottom (handy for 3D Printing).

Using this surface I create a perimeter curve and translate this down to a flat plane. Then my idea is, by using these 2 curves I can create a solid.

But I get the following errors as shown in the image: -

Solid.ByLoft
Warning: Solid.ByLoft operation failed.
Cannot create Solid, Curves are not closed

Surface.ByLoft
Warning: Surface.ByLoft operation failed.
Unable to loft! : NOT_ALL_SECTIONS_MEET – Some but not all sections meet.

Can you share your .dyn?

1 Like

sure no problem at all thanks! it is a real mess so i’ll tidy it up first

Topography to Solid1.dyn (25.8 KB)

attached file

See here: Create a solid from a topography

thanks I’m trying that now spring.mesh crashes revit.

Also any idea why the loft between the two curves fail? they are being reported as not closed but I have tried to close them without success

No, do you have the dataset?

sorry what do you mean by dataset? I previously attached the script above

I’ve got it working as a mixture of the two comments! I added a bounding box to cover topo’s which have a negative value.

but when I import it into revit the bottom plane is missing…any idea why? attached images show the graph

I’m sorry for the late reply… do you have a picture for it in Revit as well? as for the lofting it can be better to turn the curves in to a polycurve before you project it.

no problem thanks, attached images

Have you tried the Springs.FamilyInstance.ByGeometry node from the Spring nodes package instead of the ImportInstance.ByGeom?

Unfortunately no, still forgets about the bottom

Make the piece a solid prior to moving it to Revit.

Hi Jacob, which piece are you referring to?

The entire geometry. Solid by faces I believe is the name.

It’s Solid.ByJoinedSurfaces. Usually if it doesn’t work it’s because you’re missing one of the surfaces (perhaps you accidentally left the bottom surface behind somewhere in the graph), which would also explain why the base isn’t being pushed to Revit. Turn off preview of all other nodes other than one last list.create to test that theory.

yep already using the Solid.ByJoinedSurfaces, all surfaces turn blue when the node is selected within Dynamo… attached image fyi