Load Revit Families from List, Remix version

I’m new to writing my own Python nodes in Dynamo, and trying to follow the example in a previous thread: Load Revit families from list to generate a list of the door families used in the file then reload those families from a central repository on our server. [The purpose is to allow us to keep our BIM Families library file that the architects browse through up-to-date without having to manually update them each week.]

My watch node on creating my file path gives me the correct file path.

When I pass the file path to the File.Exists node, I get “true”.

When I pass that file path into my PythonScript node (having cut and pasted in the example script from the previous thread), I get an exception (I wrote in an Exception notice so that I could tell if things were working or not…)

The Revit API documentation doesn’t seem to have anything about what this method wants passed to it in Python. Can someone help me with troubleshooting?

See Dynamo attached. ReloadFamilies.dyn (10.5 KB)

PS - yes, our door naming conventions are terrible. But the special characters/spaces in the string shouldn’t matter to make this work, right?

Hi @erfajo,

Which version of Dynamo are you working in? When I open the file on my computer, I’m missing the package for the DanEDU.File, but also the code block isn’t being recognized. See screenshot below.

Download “DanEDU Dynamo” package from package manager and use the node “Load.Family”. This is a custom node.

1 Like

I’m operating in 1.2.1 for this project, currently (just because that’s the latest version I had installed with Revit 2017.1, which is what this project was in…)

I’ll reopen in 1.3 in Revit 2018 to test it out and report back!

Yeah, but most of my users in our office work with the version that comes “baked in” to their Revit, which is 1.2.1.

Totally happy to use 1.3 for my tasks (like the one driving this post!), but gotta keep things compatible for my users, too. Maybe someday I’ll get them all to actually install the new version, but right now it saves me the headache of 5 emails telling me scripts don’t work (when it’s actually just that people are in the earlier version)

Reporting back - looks good when it runs in 1.3, once I installed the DanEDU package.

@erfajo, can you explain to me what changed within that node from your previous code? I’m trying to learn how to apply my python knowledge to Dynamo, and this seems like a good use-case to learn from.

Thanks!