Load multiple families from a folder

Hello,
Is there a node to load multiple families from a folder at once? I looked on this forum but I didnt find anything. Thanks!

This is code though, not a node. Do you have to go into Revit macro creation to use this? Thanks!

Or can I paste it into a code block or something?

Clockwork has a node as well

understood erfajo,
Do you know of a site or a set of resources I can go to to learn design script/python. Its not that I dont want to, its that I dont have anyone to teach me. Thanks.

Well I already went through Primer, Athought I dont feel like it was very indepth. If thats all design script is then that is pretty minimal. What do you mean python that everywhere? do you have a website or something? kind of like the dynamo dictionary?

This script doesnt seem to do anything. I saved some particular families that I wanted into the folder indicated in the script below. However after running the script, nothing seems to happen. I noticed that the Directory.ContentsAll node seems to have changed. Is it the clockwork node? I cant seem to find a DanEDU package in the package manager…Please advise. thanks.

Hello John,
How do you load an entire folder using this node? I tried using it with the directory.path node, but that doesnt seem to work. Please advise.

I know it isn’t the Dynamo way- but sometimes an automated method is more work than a manual one
So perhaps I am lazy, but I just drag & drop families using Windows Explorer

For families in nested folders- search for *.rfa, and then drag/drop all the files from the search window.

Andrew

4 Likes

See below video, but the process is fairly simple to load a list of families at once. Get all the relevant files and its full path(I used python os module with walk and python filtering to output a list of locations from files indicated in excel file). Once here this is inputted into the loadfamily node and it will load the full list of files into the relevant project file.

1 Like

Andrew,
Yeah I know, but I just wanted to learn how to do it in dynamo. Thanks though!

@Brendan_Cassidy,
thats pretty slick. I would love to look at that script but it says you wont share it? I mean it looks cool, but if I cant see how your doing it, it doesnt really help me at all. Thanks anyways though!

1 Like

@mix Yeah not willing to share until i possibly do some other things or release as a package.

Within my last message i give enough information on how you can load rfa families into a revit project, with the video to show you it starting from a excel file via os.walk for python and filtering. Or if you can get a dynamo node that lists all files in a folder then do a filter by if it contains rfa and if yes keep these then load them into the load family node as a full list.

Does this also upgrade the families?

Ditto

@erfajo From my researching your LoadFamily.dyf* please correct me if I am wrong which I will be. LOL Looks like I would need a Script to tell the Dynamode Node to Open each .rvt and load the family I select into the .rvt then synchronize now, then close.
Please look at what I have, the Directory Path I use to select my .rvt which seems to work great. I just don’t know how to get your LoadFamily node output to work on the output of your DanEDU.Directory.ContentsAll node.

Dynamo%20pck

1 Like

You can try it.

I think Like that.

1 Like

Hi,

If could you please let me know where you got the Custom Node Directory.ContentAll, Im not able to run the script without that.

Regards

I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am trying to install the Orchid Package and then update it, but every time I update it the package disappears from Dynamo. So I can’t even try to run your script. Are you planning on updating the package through Dynamo in the future? I’m going to need to reload the old fashioned way for now

I made it work by using the Node of FileSystem.GetDirectoryContents to load all the families from a directory at one time.

File Path Node can only load one family at a time, the other route can load multiple families, see image below.

5 Likes