List levels help!

I’m placing a floor hosted family everywhere there is a pipe.
I’m generating points grouped in 4 sub lists.
I want to place a specific family based on the group even if the list is empty.
Family at index 2 needs placed with pipe group 2.
I have multiple floors, each floor needs to have each family applied to a set group of pies.

In short how do I apply the “type” list to each set of “points” list for each “host”?

Hi @Evan.Pond - To clarify, for all of the Empty List indices in your Curve.EndPoint list, you still want to place a family?

Currently the /W FamilyInstance.ByHostAndPoint node is failing because there is no point on those entries for it to place at.

No I do not want to place a family when there is an empty list, I want to skip the same index from the family type.

What is wrong with the snip I attached is both families at index 4 should pull from index 4 of type, Holdrite PVC 5"-6".

Always start simple and work your way up. Try placing families on just one floor first. Once you have that working you can see what has to change to make it work for multiple floors.

I think empty lists (and listed points) are overcomplicating your structure. I’d suggest reducing those sublists to individual points and nulls to match the structure of your family types. Always match structure as best you can.

Agreed @Nick_Boyts starting small and working up a good workflow, that is more or less how I got here.
I think I can reframe the question a bit:
How do I get Index 1 from the “type” input to apply to all 4 items of points shows?
The output should be all Holdrite PVC 1 1/4" - 2"

Thanks for the help

Are the Endpoints binned based on the Holdrite sizes?

You can use Count and Cycle to match the list structure of your points. I don’t have good knowledge of that springs node to know what occurs in different lacing or sublist arrangements, but having equal-sized and formatted lists is usually a good start.

I would change your list structure to match the types. Instead of sublists aligning with individual families, get each family to align with a point in the same structure.

The first list structure will probably work better than the second.

The other option, as @Robert_Younger mentioned, which will always work, is to match all of your list structures exactly. If every item has a 1 to 1 input match you’ll be in great shape.

Also FYI, when simplifying inputs, going from two items in a list to one item in a list is not the same as going from two items to one item. Because your one floor is still in a list, it’s the same list level as having two floors. It doesn’t actually simplify the structure or change how the node is trying to process all the inputs. Something to watch out for when simplifying, but a good technique when you’re trying to test an increased level of lists.

1 Like