Link family parameter to parameter in different family category

I’m trying to have the ability to link parameters between families, no matter the category of that family. I wrote a short script to be able to pull the information from one family to the other. But, I can’t figure out how to have the ability to pull the information seamlessly between the families. I need to be able to change the information in either family, and have it changes in both. Either way, back and forth. Any help would be great. Thank you.

PARAMETER LINK.dyn (9.2 KB)

You won’t be able to create a “live” link between parameters with Dynamo. Have you tried global parameters?

1 Like

Damn. I was hoping there was some way to do this. What I’m trying to accomplish is having my panel families have a linked parameter with my detail item in my one-line. i.e. If my panel name changes it will change the panel name in the detail item on the one-line. Global Parameters would work. But, I would end up with a ton of parameters for each panels parameters. It would get out o f hand really quick.

1 Like

You could still write a script to do what you want. You’d just have to remember to run it manually every once in a while.

That is fine. The script I have does not work though.

Can you upload a screenshot? I’m out of the office so I can’t open your dyn file.

Not sure how that’s gonna work out…

If the elements have different parameter values how does Dynamo know which value to replace and which to keep? You’d be better off always setting one category’s parameter value and always updating the Panel Name on the other category, especially if one category is reading the actual connected Panel Name from an electrical panel.

Ok I have a thought… may be crazy as are most things in my head, but I’m 90% certain it’s doable.

Make new parameters in the one line detail family called ‘Parent Panel ID’ and ‘Parent Panel Name’.
Make a new parameter in the modeled panels called ‘Associated One Line ID’.
Create your panels in the model. Don’t do any one line diagrams yet.
Get all electric panels by category. Query their ID and name. Filter out any panels with a value in the ‘Associated One Line ID’ field. Use the included panels below.
Create the panels in the one line diagram with dynamo using the list of panels and a generated sequence of points.
Set the values for ‘Parent Panel ID’ and ‘Parent Panel Name’ according to the list of parameters from the panels.
After creating the one line panels their element IDs will be in order to the mode panels were created. Set the original panels’ ‘Associated One Line ID’ with these values.
For the excluded panels, get their name and the ‘Associated One Line ID’. Select the elements by the ‘Associated One Line ID’ values and set the ‘Parent Panel Name’ values to the names from the modeled panels if the values didn’t previously match.
Toss in an informing pop up at the end to let you know how many panels were created and how many had names updated, and you have yourself a workflow for creating and updating your panels.

Just don’t forget to run this before you print.

What you are asking for is not feasible with Dynamo. What you need is a Revit plug-in that will use an IUpdater to watch for changes and then react accordingly. That’s also possible using something called IdlingEvent. Both of these methods are a little more advanced than Dynamo though.

1 Like

Thanks. I know of an add-in that does what I’m looking to do. I was just hoping I could write a script for it instead. Oh well.

I know this is an old post but I’m hoping this helps anyone else researching this subject. Creating one-line/riser diagrams based on model info/circuit information is something the Revit engineering world sorely needs. I’m attempting to create a custom solution for our company. In the meantime, these are the best two solutions I know of:

1. If you want free, create a section or elevation that will be your ‘riser’. Create tags that contain the symbols and parameters you need. With creative VG and filters you can achieve at least synchronization of data. For a start, see this link: https://www.augi.com/articles/detail/the-sld-banquet. Beginning with 2017, tags can now be pinned and won’t move, even if the model family does, which helps with this workflow.

2. Another option is purchase an add-in called RF Tools by RushForth Projects. It allows you to ‘link’ parameters from one element to nearly any other of your choosing; in this case model elements and detail items. It also comes with several other useful functions for the MEP world. The specific feature that helps with one-lines and risers is ‘Parameter Linker’: http://www.rushforthprojects.com/Revit_To_Excel_and_Shared_Parameters_Tools_Documentation.html