I am looking to learn about making custom UI’s in a revit addin with WPF and xaml.
I have experience in windows form UIs, but not WPF.
Does any have some good references/reading material on making a WPF UI? I can google, but given that I do not know much about the topic, its hard to know if it is good info or bad info.
Thanks in advance!
https://www.youtube.com/@JamesMontemagno/search?query=wpf is probably the most reliable and best option if you’re just starting out. He’s got a lot of videos on the subject. Avoid Tim Corey
You want to learn:
- The heap and the stack / value types and reference types.
- Events and event handlers.
- Windows, pages, user controls.
- Styles and resources.
- MVVM design pattern.
- Data context and data bindings.
- Relay commands.
- Using MVVM frameworks like MVVM.Community.Toolkit as it makes it easier.
More advanced topics which facilitate MVVM:
- IoC containers (e.g. Autofac or Prism)
- Templating and template selectors.
- Error validation.
- Service locator pattern - you can use this to bind your VMs to windows/pages.
I usually watch Tim Corey videos (top google results), so I appreciate the warning.