If you cannot launch Dynamo in Revit 2021 with NullReference IsOptedIn error

We have been getting more reports of an issue affecting Dynamo / Autodesk analytics.

There are a few analytics launch issues floating around the forum so please check the stack trace here to ensure you’ve seen this particular stack trace before trying this workaround.

2023-03-07_06-41-51

We believe the issue is with an update to ADP - Autodesk’s analytics component that Dynamo uses. This can be installed globally automatically or by other applications - a particular version 4.4.0 causes issues with DynamoRevit 2021.

Coming soon there should be an automated delivery of a new version that will resolve this issue - but to get Dynamo working again NOW you can try this workaround.

Simpler Experimental Alternative
These are unconfirmed simpler solutions to try first.

1. Close all autodesk products/Dynamo.
  2. Try opening a newer ADSK product and disable Analytics from the UI in that product.
  3. Open Dynamo in a newer ADSK product like, Revit 2022 and disable Analytics there.
  4. Try rebooting Revit 2021.

A warning it is a bit painful.

1. Navigate to %appData%\Roaming\Autodesk\ADPSDK\bin and ensure that the binaries in this folder are version 4.4.0. To check the Binaries version:

a) Right-click on the binaries here, such as ADPSDKCore.dll, select Properties, navigate to the Details tab, and check out the File Version property.

2. Backup the files in this folder to a safe location.

3. You may need admin rights for the following steps.

4. Unzip the attached 7zip archive and copy the files from the unzipped bin folder to the existing bin folder.

5. You will likely get an error that access is denied etc.

6. Open the Task Manager and close ADSSO, Autodesk Identity etc, anything named Autodesk and all ADSK applications.

7. Hit retry on the copy dialog.

8. You may need to do this multiple times.

9. You may need to open services from the start menu and disable any service that starts with Autodesk.

10. It may be simpler to create a new user account on your machine with admin privileges and use it to copy the files to your normal user account’s adp folder.

• It MAY be possible as a temporary work around to simply delete the entire bin folder - but this depends on what other versions of ADP are installed on your machine and it will only work temporarily.

adp_bin 4.4.1.7z (4.1 MB)

If possible - use newer Dynamo versions temporarily, if not you can try this workaround or wait until the automatic update resolves this issue.

10 Likes

The %appData% shortcut includes the Roaming folder, at least on Windows 11. So, the correct path for step one is %appData%\Autodesk\ADPSDK\bin.

4 Likes

Hi all,

Just to let you know. This ‘simpler alternative’ works for my affected users.

Just to add one step to the solution, not sure if its needed but i did it before hand…:

1. Close all autodesk products/Dynamo.
  2. Delete all packages/settings e.t.c. for Dynamo 2.6
  3. Try opening a newer ADSK product and disable Analytics from the UI in that product.
  4. Open Dynamo in a newer ADSK product like, Revit 2022 and disable Analytics there.
  5. Try rebooting Revit 2021.

I launched Revit 2022, disabled Autodesk Analytics there, launched Dynamo for Revit 2022 and disabled analytics.
Launched Dynamo in Revit 2021 and got a prompt if i wanted to enable analytics, which i didnt.
Users here can now use Dynamo again.

Thank you Dynamo/Autodesk team for piling up on this issue together!

(cc @jacob.small )

5 Likes

Hey thanks for the detailed instructions, I’ve followed these steps myself and managed to resolve this issue for a few of my users.

2 Likes

Is there an addition alternative for someone who doesn’t have any newer ADSK products besides 2021???

I think we have found a solution, at least temporarily.
It seems that you can just delete the Bin folder.

C:\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ADPSDK\bin

Revit recreates this folder upon startup, and it was exactly reproduced upon starting Dynamo.

After deleting it, Dynamo works again in version 2021.

We tested this on a bunch of PC’s - It seems that nothing is affected by this method.

1 Like

you can try deleting AdpSDKCSharpWrapper.dll from Dynamo’s folder.

1 Like

This as of now works. I couldn’t delete the actual folder, but I could delete all the files in the folder. Now after restarting Revit there is more files in the bin location. Dynamo took a little longer than normal to open, but it does open and able to run scripts. This seems like a pretty quick/easy fix if you don’t have newer software. Thanks for the support and ideas!!!

1 Like

This solution did not work for us. Maybe because I was not able to turn off all Privacy Analytics (one of them was greyed out, and explained as necessary. Maybe because we worked in BIM360 cloud?). Solution above of @dina.chardymova though worked, at least temporarily. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

EDIT: It was necessary to close ADSSO, Autodesk Identity application with task manager with Admin rights.

1 Like