I want to edit the sketch of an existing floor or slab

Hi Dynamo Community,

I would like your help to vote up my idea. Revit’s API doesn’t have the ability to edit the floor sketch. I would like that to change. I have posted the idea for Autodesk.

Editing the sketch programmatically would allow us to monitor slab edges, and wall sketches for coordination between models/disciplines. This would be helpful for our Dynamo community.

Thank you.

Here is the link to Vote.
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/revit-ideas/autodesk-answer-day-edit-sketch-in-api/idi-p/6334613

4 Likes

Done.

Btw we do have partial control over an element’s sketch, but extracting the sketch curves is costly.

Once we get the correct sketches, we can move them around:

delete any internal loops:

or (if you’re really adventurous), the external loop:

16 Likes

Thank you, everyone, for voting.

Dimitar,
This is great. Thank you for the example.

Nice one guys!
How can I get the centre of openings in slabs, rectangular and especially round ones.

Kind regards

Dimitar, do you know of any way to add sketch lines?

2 Likes

The gift that keeps on giving. How did you … where did you … . The ElementId - 1 gives you the sketch id, if the element is sketched based?!?

Genius. Thanks yet once again.

@Dimitar_Venkov are you using this solution, so not recreating a new floor? Seems very very cool solution, btw I’m trying to do in a addin, so I cannot use you Dynamo nodes

Yes, if I remember correctly the code was similar to the solution posted here:

I’ve take a look at.your node and yes, you are getting the lines from deletion. The question is: can we just modify a slab loop with the only same number of lines? Can’t I add new curves on the loops, am I right?

You could also try the new Element.GetDependentElements, however I don’t think there’s any way to add new curves to an existing sketch at this moment.

1 Like

@Dimitar_Venkov ´s Solution in Python works great (as always) and as an example, here I have used it for a simple task that I need to repeats hundreds of times on a project: Move ONE edge of the sketch (at the window bay) inwards by 60mm. This scrips runs great in the Dynamo Player and saves me a few clicks (multiply that with a couple 100, and you see the benefits.)

I made it so that the edge that I select also identifies the edge that I want to adjust.

A great improvement would be if either I didn´t need to confirm the edge selection again in Revit (that would save me a third of the clicks), OR if I could select multiple edges of multiple objects, but that would require changing Dimitar´s Python script and the adjacent code block.

Thanks again!!!