How to use Dynamo to create collision detection in Navisworks?

Hello everyone, how can I use Dynamo to create collision detection in Navisworks? I tried DynaWorks22, but it can only obtain collision information from Navisworks and cannot create a new collision detection.

I want to implement a tool that selects corresponding components in Navisworks and then performs collision detection on these selected components in Dynamo

If Dynaworks doesn’t have it you will need to write your own custom code. The Navisworks API isn’t something I have used much so I can’t be of much help. However I recommend using Visual Studio and C# to write a zero touch node rather than going the Python route, as there will be less technical restrictions there.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. I will make some attempts.

May I ask if you have any idea of obtaining construction information in Navisworks through Dynamo or Python? For example, in the following image, I want to obtain the name of the construction stage, task type, and information on the components attached to each stage.

I wouldn’t recommend Python for this one. C# and VisualStudio of another IDE would be the route I would go. After you get an IDE installed look into the ‘how’ of it. To start with that I’d look into the Dynaworks repository which I believe is still public on GitHub. And since it would only provide the base level and doesn’t expose everything you are after, next you will need to look into the Navisworks API.

With those tools and references in place you’ll be able to start coding a solution for yourself.

Take it slow and know there will be stumbling blocks along the way. Your goal should be to learn how to build the tools first, then learn how to automate Navisworks - otherwise you’ll wind up chasing your tail quite a bit.

Thank you very much for your suggestion!