How to rotate/align similar families on a line/Path

Path array distance (no rotation).dyn (19.8 KB)

Hello everyone , Currently I have this script in which I place families along a path(model Line)
however when I am trying to use it it does not rotate the families the way that I want . (picture on the left represent the way dynamo is working , picture on the right represents how I want it)
So my question is how Can I rotate/align these families on this path quickly using dynamo .
Should I create a separate script or I can edit this script ?
Thanks

Hey mate,

If it’s referencing a linear path, best to change the family into a line-based version instead.

Dynamo wise, you’d need to do a lot more legwork to your script to reprogram the linear based family calculation.

hey Mate , thanks for the answer . The thing is That sometimes I want it to be on a linear path and sometimes on a curve . I will have a long path and I want the families to follow the path in an aligned/rotated way .
How is that achieved via dynamo

Place them, then set their rotation to the angle of the Tangent vector from the family’s facing direction.

Setting the rotation: Dynamo Dictionary

Thanks for your reply Jacob , I didn’t get exactly what did you mean that. Can you explain further please

1. Starting with your base curve.

2. Use a Curve.PointAtParameter to get a series of points along the curve. Note this may not be the spacing method you want as parameters are not equidistant from each other, but the overall concept should hold.

3. Use a Curve.TangentAtParameter to get the tangent vector at each curve.

4. Assuming your family faces up in the family environment, use a Vector.AngleAboutAxis to find the angle from the global Y axis (Vector.YAxis)to the tangent vector. Of your family faces down, or right or left or some other angle you will need to use something other than the global Y axis.

5. Use a FamilyInstance.ByOrigin node to populate a family at each point along the curve.

6. Use a FamilyInstance.SetRotation node to rotate the families by the value found in #4.

Thanks Jacob seems this is the way

1 Like