How to properly use Migrations.XML with a ZeroTouch nodes package?

Hi there,

I’ve got an issue with providing a proper Migrations.XML for my ZeroTouch nodes. What I’ve done is moving a node from one Category (Patterns.Lists) to another (Utilities.List), keeping the name of the node. I’m now providing the XML like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<migrations>
  <priorNameHint>
    <oldName>KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Patterns.Lists.CondenseList</oldName>
    <newName>KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Utilities.List.CondenseList</newName>
  </priorNameHint>
  <priorNameHint>
    <oldName>Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry.KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Patterns.Lists.CondenseList</oldName>
    <newName>Autodesk.DesignScript.Geometry.KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Utilities.List.CondenseList</newName>
  </priorNameHint>
</migrations>

The filename is KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Migrations.xml, and it is located in the same folder as the KiskaDynamoZTNodes.dll

As far as I can tell, I have followed the instructions on https://github.com/DynamoDS/Dynamo/wiki/Zero-Touch-Plugin-Development#migrations and my XML is a modified copy of the ProtoGeometry one. But the updated node is not detected when I open a node tree that contained the old one.

Yes, the assembly name is the same. I’ll try adding that attribute to the XML regardless and see if it changes anything.

it’s a private Repo on Bitbucket. I can grant access to you if you provide me a mail address.

ok cool. I’ve tried adding the additionalAttribute as well, still no luck. Maybe it’s the way I installed the package? I’ve used File -> Import Library to do that. The full path was added to the ‘Manage node and Package Paths’ preferences correctly.

no I don’t. Where can I find info about this?

I’ll try that as soon as I can. No, I haven’t used any comments, as I ran into your bug report regarding that issue. Thanks for all your support so far.

KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Migrations.xml.txt (951 Bytes)

Here’s the XML. I’ve added the .txt extension purely because the upload tool would not allow me to upload .XML files (extension is blocked)

folder

Screenshot of the folder where my .dll is located

didn’t help unfortunately. Guess I need to try using the .json approach

not a chance. Also with the pkg.json, the folder setup, setting that folder in the Dynamo options, etc, the nodes are not upgraded correctly. I’m running out of ideas on what could be wrong.

Can confirm this is still an issue, have tested today with Dynamo 2.3. It’s not a show-stopper, but certainly inconvenient having to change the whole node tree every time a node changes its location within classes.

See commit https://github.com/DynamoDS/Dynamo/commit/4606fdc7ccfce6d91f68899716f889de66776d8f

@alfarok FYI

@d.kreide this may not work because you are trying to move nodes into a builtin category… try using a namespace that does not already exist… in the builtin categories.

1 Like

Ive tried both

<oldName>KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Utilities.Surface.FilterSurfacesByArea</oldName>
<newName>KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Utilities.SurfaceAAA.AAA</newName>

as well as

<oldName>KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Utilities.Surface.FilterSurfacesByArea</oldName>
<newName>KiskaDynamoZTNodes.Utilities.Surface.AAA</newName>

while renaming the classes respectively. None worked. But as @erfajo explained, I might be asking in the wrong forum anyways, so thanks for your support. It might be just easier to just run an own script or tool on the .dyn files or search and replace there.