How to make rectangles of the dimensions of windows (window opening)

Hello everyone,

I am trying to make rectangles of the dimensions of the windows (windows opening) and displace them to the exterior layer of the wall. Like this, but being a planar rectangle element:

I have been working with this, based in the link below, but with no result:

http://dynamobim.com/forums/topic/total-window-area-from-geometry-data/#post-11381

Also I do not understand why I can not use "windows - frame or window - opening, as category, being a selectable option.

Every help is wellcome.

Thanks and have everyone a good day. :slight_smile:

Hi Juan,

It looks like you’re mostly there. The last step is to instead generate rectangles on those planes and correctly position the windows:

CC: @Mostapha this might be of use for Ladybug

1 Like

Out of interest- why do you need to do this ?

Maybe you are modelling 2 parallel walls (where just one wall hosts the window), rather than one multi-layered wall

Andrew

Hi,

Dimitar, Thanks a lot. Great help your script. I’m having these problems, can you help me?:

a) “Element.GetParameterValueByName” seems to just getting me parameters of 1 instance (and not all the windows), as the example code block node show with “altura de antepecho” and giving 0,9. With height and widht I don’t know why I don’t have any type parameters results.

b) What do you mean with the “Element.Type” Clockwork node?

Andrew: I’m trying to get a simplification of models (in this case windows with position in exterior layer) for exporting to Sketch Up.

Thanks!!

Hello ,

Any idea someone? I’m a bit stuck speaking truly. Thank you very much!!

Hi Juan,

Have you tried exporting your Revit model to gbXML, and then import it into Sketchup? Energy models already provide a simplified geometry where windows (and walls, roofs, floors, etc.) are just 2 dimensional rectangles with material applied to.

Hi,

1)You’ll need to use the window type elements because your window dimension properties reside in the type
2)You’ll need to set up the lacing of the get element node to cross product (right click on the node>lacing>cross). Alternatively, you could use two getparameter nodes instead, one for each parameter, and feed those into the rectangle node.

Hello,

Great. Thanks Dimitar. Now I got the rectangles. I use FamilyType.CompoundStructureLayers to get the width of each wall containing a window to move width/2 to the exterior each rectangle.

Thanks you Francisco for the idea, but till my knowledge, I think it’s not possible to import gbXML to Sketch Up, right?

Hi Juan, you will need GModeller to import gbXML into Sketchup: https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/gmodeller

You can run it with a trial for 30 days. I haven’t used it so can’t comment on that, but hope this helps.

Fantastic Francisco. I managed to export perfectly. The only matter is that the perimeter that the energy analysis gets is the center of the exterior wall, when I need the exterior face of the wall, (with the position of windows in that plane also).

Does anyone know if this is possible?

If not, I’m thinking of making a Dynamo script that flips orientation of exterior walls, but here I would also need to change in this case to the interior face as the boundary of the energy analysis.

Thanks.

Yes, unfortunately, at the moment we can’t select or change the orientation of the surface for exterior walls… In 2010 I participated on an ASHRAE Research Grant Project called “Development of a Reference Building Information Model (BIM) for Thermal Model Compliance Testing (RP-1468)”, which suggests improvements on current energy simulation tools to work better with BIM models. One of those suggestions was for the user to be able to determine whether to pick the exterior face of the wall, the centreline or the innerface of the wall for boundaries when exporting models.

The analysis of the results revealed, however, that for shorter wall dimensions, the percentage difference was considerably higher (i.e., wall lengths less than 40 ft.) but for longer wall dimensions, the percentage difference was less than 5%, which is considered acceptable. In that case, the orientation of the surface (innerface, outerface or centreline of the wall) was considered irrelevant, again, from an energy simulation point of view.

Give it a go with Dynamo. Whatever you come across with might be useful for energy simulation developers. Good luck!

1 Like

OK. Thanks. The matter is that I’m doing all for exporting to PHPP of Passivhaus, so I need the exterior face to be the energy border line. I will give it a try. I will inform with any progress.

So far, I have made two nods for exporting windows and TFA of Passivhaus, so I will try with selecting faces also. Thanks again! :wink: