How to get a list of color RGBs from elements in a link?

hi, i need to get the list of color RGBs of elements that are in a link. i did manage to get the list of elements that are in that link following another way from another forum, but i don’t know how to extract the color RGBs from these elements using dynamo without the need for python.

What exactly do you mean? You want the color of each element? That would be dependent on many, many things (all the override options and then some actually).

Why do you need these colors and what do you intend to do with them? This is not a simple process as there are many things that dictate how an element is shown.

i have created a color legend family that i can select either gray or black text for the elements that exist in the view to make it easier to follow the color list. so i created a dynamo script that will look into each view, look for those elements (conduits, ducts, pips etc) and look for their RGBs and compare them to an RGB list i have in an Excel form. if they match. them it means the element is in the view and it would use black text. if it is not in the list. then i uses halftone/gray text. however all these elements r from links and not in the actual model. so i need a way to pull the RGBs of each element so i can make the comparison.

How are they colored then? That will determine how you get the color.

If they’re by filter, then you’ll have to get the filter rules and use those. If they’re by view override, then you’ll have to get those. It’s all dependent on which method was used to set the color.

2 Likes