How to find relative coordinates of wall inserts based on the wall start point?

Hi,
I have several walls that I need to find the coordinates of the the inserted elements in them, like windows, doors, etc, so I can compare and categorize the walls based on that.
Could you help me on what to do?

I do appreciate your time and help in advance.

Sincerely,
Farshid

Hi, here are some nodes that should partially answer your problem.
I leave you to ponder the beginning of a wall (related to its modeling history)

Don’t forget to post your working graphics

cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

Hi @christian.stan
Thank you for your contribution. Probably there are potentials in these nodes and your approach, but I was thinking about another angle.
If I change the coordinate based on each wall start point, then theoretically I could acquire the relative coordinates of the inserts for the specific wall, then I could repeat the process for each wall.
I managed to create the coordinate system, but I am lost where I could get the points’ coordinates in the new coordinate system.

Sincerely,
Farshid

1 Like

hello

cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

Hi @christian.stan ,
You are awesome! The only thing is I need the relative coordinates in the x, y, and z directions because there are power outlets on the walls that may be inserted on the interior or exterior side of the walls, so the placement along the wall thickness direction is equally important.
Do you have another magical trick at your disposal to solve that?

I do appreciate your time and help once again.

Sincerely,
Farshid

1 Like

There’s no magic, I’m just looking
I don’t have electric families, so I made with a generic family (per face)

cordially
christian.stan

1 Like

Hi @christian.stan
Thank you so much for the graph. I have tried several times on my test model without luck! The Y factor of the location of inserts remains the same even though they are placed on different sides of the wall!
I placed the types I families I needed to place on the wall and attached them here so you can use the same families.
I would appreciate it if you could take a look at the model and script, and let me know how to fix the problem.
The Revit file was larger than 8MB so I could not upload it here, but I sent you a link to OneDrive, where you can download it.

Revit File
Wall Geo-Test-2.dyn (21.2 KB)

Sincerely,
Farshid

1 Like

Hello, I looked at your file, with your ‘‘Motorized Doors’’ it works, as for your ‘‘El wires’’ elements if we open the family the attachment point is the center of the wall, but the designer has builds reference planes on both sides so the Z coordinate is always 0

Nevertheless, with that I let you dig to find a track with these knots (I made a rotate for the the wall)

edit: I recommend this very good read
cordially
christian.stan