How to Create a Surface in Revit from XYZ Point Cloud Data?

It can be done in Dynamo too… Just follow this algorithm http://through-the-interface.typepad.com/through_the_interface/2009/04/triangulating-an-autocad-polyface-mesh-from-a-set-of-points-using-net.html

There are going to be some “ghost” triangles too but if you have an outline you can cut those out.

Wow, Paolo… What kind of object is the resulting surface here, Dynamo Mesh object? I take it you don’t want to share this on the package manager? :slight_smile:

Those are simple Surfaces but the algorithm I’ve indicated could produce a Mesh too. Plus what you see is ONE possible triangulation not necessarily the right one, Delaunay provides a very clean triangulation avoiding triangles that are too thin. It’s not the only algorithm by the way, there are others that proven to be empirically faster than the one I used (have a look at Triangulate.NET on Codeplex for instance, or look for q-hull and s-hull).

I have attached a variant of a graph that someone earlier kindly provided. I have also attached a snippet of a points file, containing 1000 points, which have a series of common ‘X’ values due to points decimation.

The graph variant uploaded has pulled out just a single collection of points relating to an ‘X’ value, however, how could the graph be modified to enable this collation process to be repeated for multiple ‘X’ value for examples, without copying silly amounts of code? I know it is to do with list management, but that is where l get stumped for tasks that are many but slightly different. Any assistance on how to get the graph to work on a myriad of varying ‘X’ values for example would be appreciated.

On another note, the image depicts the curve through points using Dynamo, however, it is not a great curve via automation. If l use spline through points command within Revit, using the reference points placed by the graph, the resulting curve is what you would expect to observe. Why is there a difference in how Dynamo decides to connect these points compared to Revit and is there an automated Dynamo solution, which matches or compares the Revit spline through points solution?

Kind regards

Zone 18 part floor extraction 1000 points Capture5

Points-Surface

Does anyone have any ideas in relation to my previous post?

2 Likes

thank you :slight_smile: