How set parameter yes/no for nest family

Hi everyone
I’m trying to change parameter in nest family but it failed only report Warning: “Element.SetParameterByName operation failed.
The parameter is read-only.”
This really helps with many solutions in the job, very nails get help1

Thanhks @jbo for reply soon
I checked the shared and loaded into the project but still could not set value for it!
Is there any other reason?

Yes! But now I want to assign the display variable to a floor strut, if the strut does not touch the floor I want to hide it, if the parent variable is changed in the project then all struts is hidden

Maybe I should separate my family to handle every single family so independent seems to be the better direction!

You are giving the parameter a true/false value but I don’t think it can read it like that way.
Maybe you should give it a string like “true” or “false”.

1 Like

True false values are usually 0 or 1.

1 Like

Thank @jacob.small @CVest reply!
I already checked and like result @jbo! The main reason is that the parameter nest family is not changed

Did you find a solution?

If not, can you share the .rvt and .dyn file? I would like to try something :slight_smile:

@CVest i have not found yet
This is .rvt .dyn! Please check help!
Formwork for column.dyn (35.4 KB)

Thanks @jbo for help
I already delete the connection between the visibility and the “hidde show” parameter but it will not do result
Can you show me your result!

sorry @jbo you actually did the way you say but maybe it’s still wrong somewhere! Can you send me the .rvt .dyn file that you have edited the way you did? sincerely thanks

Ok thanks @jbo

I tried it out and it seems to work. Both with the Visibility-Parameter being linked to the “hidde show” Parameter as well as it not being linked to it. Try my graph out. Hope it helps.

You can also control the visibility in the Project environment by assigning the “hidde show” paramter to a global parameter. Some how only numbers work here3

Thanks @Macroperari for help
I already trie but unsuccessful
Did you try the my dynamo file that I posted and it succeeded?

Yes it does Funktion with your dynamo file. I have added my workflow to it.
Your Global Parameter Typ was set to “Text” and two different Parameter Typs don’t go together (Text and Yes/No) so I deleted it and created a new Global Parameter with the Typ set to “Yes/No”
Then selected the Family and linked it’s “hidde show” Parameter to the Global Parameter “hidde show” and it worked.
Sometimes I have to select the Family again because I didn’t get the one having the “Supports”
So I think it’s better if you go into the Family and change the “hidde show” Parameter to a “Typ” Parameter, then Link it from the Typ editor to the Global Parameter.

Formwork for columndyn_New.dyn (50.5 KB)

1 Like

@Macroperari many thanks for your help! But what I’m trying to solve is that I can hide the support that are not on the floor, so if I put the type, the support will be show or hidden all!Each column can show or hide 1 or 2 or 3 support

Ja, that’s true. Thought your goal was to show or hide all. But if you want to show some and hide some then you need to set each Support to a different Visibility Parameter.
I paired them here, naming them “support group_1” and so on
Then created a Global Parameter for each, naming them thesame and used the same Graph as before
You can control their visibilities in the Glabal Parameter section or if you want to use Dynamo then maybe the Dynamo Player is better.
I changed the Parameter names to match each Global Parameter created
Hope it brings you closer to what you are trying to achieve.

1 Like

Thank you so much! This way I understand! But it does not seem to be automatic because you have to use too many dynamo runs! The thing that I really wanted to do was check the intersection between the support with the floor, if any support intersection with floor it would be “Show” the opposite support that does intersection the floor then it would be hidden any support They all have the same role and have the same family type:instance
Best regards

@jbo Thanks for help!
i will try! If successful I will tell you