Hosting Rebar Shape Within Concrete Beam

Hello, fellow Dynamo users,

I have a scenario that I need some help with - I’m attempting to host some rebar in a variable set of concrete beams. I have downloaded BIM4Struc.Rebar and Dynamo for Rebar to aid me on this quest and have made some headway. Using the rebar.bycurve node, I’ve been able to draw in rebar and array it as indicated (see photograph 1). This is close to what I want for the end result, but there’s one key component missing.

I am unable to provide a rebar shape (like T1, S4, etc.) and have it flex with the beam as you do in native Revit. In order to get the rebar in, I am having to “draw” it in dynamo and then populate it using Rebar.ByCurve. While this works, I lose the functionality of being able to change a T1 stirrup to a S1 stirrup later on down the line - see photos 3 and 4.

So, my overall question is, would you be able to host a rebar shape (like T1) from Dynamo without drawing in what the shape is? The closest node I came across was in BIM4Struc.Rebar and is called PathReinforcement.CreateByCurveAndShapeCode, but I was unable to get it to function properly. See attached images for what I’ve done so far and the end results I hope to see.

Any help is much appreciated - and sorry if I’ve over or under-written, I’m not a very frequent poster. See link at the bottom for the Revit and Dynamo files I’m using if you want to get in and tinker.

Photo 1 - End goal of selecting beams and a rebar shape to have it populate at a set max spacing

Photo 2 - Dynamo script to draw in geometry (the Rebar.ByCurve node is working, it just threw a minor error).

Photo 3 - If I draw in the correct geometry, Revit identifies it as a T1 stirrup, which is cool. But if I go to change it, then it suddenly bugs out and does not stay within the beam confines (see photo 4).

Photo 4 - If I change T1 to S1 after I sketched T1 within Dynamo, the rebar freaks out and does not maintain appropriately.

Link to Revit and Dynamo files here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y63e52d42dkpOYT0v9rclgOvGdi2FrWs?usp=sharing

I have used this wonderful document as a source and some topics on the forum (namely this and this)

As I said, any help is greatly appreciated, my brain is not big enough for this one.
Many thanks!
Best,
Mitchell

1 Like