Get Specific Parameters from Linked file

Normally, GetParameterValueByName node works to get the name of the Base Level, Top Level and Structural Material, but when trying the same for linked files using GetDocuments and Element.GetFromLinkedFile these don’t give a proper output. Other parameters do work, though.

Any reason why this happens or any workaround to get the same?

Thanks

Please show us your complete graph with your resulting output.

As seen in the image below, the Volume Parameter is giving the output but not the Base Level. Similarly, the Top Level and Structural Material parameters cannot be read. The result is a null output.

Its because there are 2 parameter by its name. Try to get values by using BuiltinParameter.

1 Like

Hi Kulkul,

Thanks for your reply, but I still don’t understand how I will use that. For e.g. in structural framing, I tried to get the reference level using the method you suggested, but I have 432 instances of that parameter and I don’t know which one to use! Can you help by elaborating further? Image below for reference. Thanks.

I managed to get only one item using unique items node but it still doesn’t work. What is meant by Built In Parameter and how to use it?

@Viraj_Voditel1 You could try the below solution for the mean time.

@Viraj_Voditel1 And here is how you can get the Base Level from Structural link file using BuiltinParameter.

Hi @Kulkul

I tried using the second method you mentioned, can you let me know which is the first python script which is giving the family and type to you? I am currently using the below node:

Using this node the second script wouldn’t run.

Also, can you let me know how I can modify the script for different parameters? Like the example you gave is for getting base level of columns, but I also need to read some parameters for structural framing, walls etc. Is there any documentation for the same?

Check this http://www.revitapidocs.com/

1 Like

@Viraj_Voditel1 You just have to connect your columns list to the python IN[0] and Link Document IN[1]. See below.

I tried the same thing but I’m getting a warning as shown below:

show me watch node on getitematindex and elements.getfrom linked file.

Hello, thanks for your quick response. Please check the watch node outputs below:

Add list.create node after List.GetItematindex and connect.

2 Likes

Thanks @Kulkul ,

This works. Now I guess the challenge for me is to figure out how to change the python script for other parameters that I want to see. I will use the link given by @Mohammadz to do that.

However, I think there should be custom nodes for this as this is something quite generic and I see quite a few use cases for the same.

Thanks again.