Generic Annotation FamilyType to create legend - NOT CREATING :(

Hi , I would like to create a Legend with the Electrical Symbols used in the model.
I created the graph with two types of nodes. However neither of the two actually create any object on the Legend view. (Note : The Generic Annotation Family are nested in the Electrical Fixtures Family)

1 Like

Try with this " FamilyInstance.ByHostAndPoint "

Family

Hi @iconicdesignent,

To place family types on a legend use the Create Legend Component node.

Create legend component.dyn (12.2 KB)

P.S : As the Revit API does not integrate methods for legend components, the workaround is to insert a single component in the legend, duplicate it and change its type, which the custom node does.

3 Likes

I dont understand why its showing null. Is it because it is a nested Generic annotation in Electrical Fixtures Family?

Hi , I tried the Legend Component and even used the graph you so kindly sent. but i am still getting a null result. :frowning: I dont understand the problem.

Did you place a first component in the legend view ?

Try with the Electrical Fixtures and not the Generic Annotations Category.

1 Like

Hi Alban, Thanks. Finally got it to work. I did add a first component. But i think the views wasn’t working out right. I changed the Legend View and it works perfectly. You are a star!!.

Hi Alban,

I got the Icons to show , is it possible to adjust the visibility parameter set in the generic annotation to turn off, because this is currently what i am getting.

I don’t think.

The legend component is really limited. You can’t access to its parameters and even tag it.
The only thing you can do is override its projection lines.

ok, thanks. Also i would like to add the description text of each component next to it. I am using the Getparameter node and for placing the text , the springs Textnote.bypoint

Is there a better way that you may be aware of? Thanks in advance.

Hi Alban,

Please see the same graph with the text placements supposed to be aligned to create a legend. But its being shifted in the Legend View. Attaching the Dyn file. [Create legend component with Text Description.dyn|attachment](upload://oKJtbdn3awDIc

1AeCbXejtGuMWw.dyn) (35.4 KB)Create legend component with Text Description.dyn (35.4 KB)

Hi Alban,

Sorry if it feels like a silly question, I do understand the concept you stated, however the nodes with the same points are still not giving me the result you have shown. Kindly c the result i get in the image below. I don’t know what is wrong and how to fix it.
Should i be using the same location placement point for both legend and text? or should the locations be different?

Hi,

EDIT : The node has been updated and now includes an additional translation to place the components at the expected location.

Create legend component with Text Description.dyn (21.3 KB)

1 Like

Thanks So much. I will give it a go.

Hello Alban.
I was trying to use and replicate this routine but i think i have problem with my families.
Could you send me one example of how set the family to this routine work?
Here’s one of my families that the routine isn’t working.

Best Regards.
Teste Family.rfa (5.6 MB)

Create legend component does not seem to work in Revit 2023.1. Python error in the line: box = existing_legend_component.BoundingBox[view]

It is working fine in Revit 2023.
Did you place a first component in the legend view ?

2 Likes