GenerativeDesign Primer : Building Mass Generator

I´ve stepped in the Grnerative Design Primer ( A M A Z I N G content!! ) and especially the building mass generator.Building Mass Generator - Generative Design Primer

I´d have a question that would like to share with the community.

The code is relying on a vector of numbers, which turns into apparently random points. The mechanic of the code is clear to me, I dunno what is the rational behind choosing these numbers specifically. I´m trying to break thing and using other numbers i.e. Fibonacci series or la list double as long

, but still there is sth I cannot grasp.

Any answer from you would be hugely appreciated.

There is nothing magic about the numbers used, or the amount of numbers given (though it should be more than 2, because otherwise you won’t have a polycurve but a line early on). Those values were just what the designer had picked as a start point to get a good amount of variety in the data given.

You may notice there is a watch node next in this sequence, and that there is annother adjacent watch node which has nothing connected to it’s output. These come from that large collection of number sliders further left in the graph. If you wire the unconnected watch node into the graph where the current one is, you’ll have full control over the resulting design by adjusting the numbers sliders, which in turn means generative designw ill have full control as well. Without that control the genetic algorithm has a bit less control due to the use of a shuffle methodology. With 14 items in the list the output of that could be any one of 14! (or 87,178,291,200), and the resulting shuffle could be different on any run.

Personally I prefer the number slider control, but there is value in random as well.

1 Like

Ciao Jacob :slight_smile: thanks for picking this up.

I think the script is brilliand and would like to get it in full. Do the designer pick the values with a certain logic? i.e. the values are relatively centered around 50, but concentrated at the first and last 10 values from 1 to 100. I´m trying Fibonacci and the building seems fatter, if the list is doubled then the building is bigger in size (more points).

The Math.Random will return the same value whit each seed, but number 1 will not relate to number 2 and so on. Playing with the slider version may make more sense as a means of exploration.