Generative design - are these results correct?

Hello,

I am using Generative Design to find an optimal workstation layout. My goal is to maximize the number of desks and minimize the path from desk to exit.
I am using variables like workstation configuration (from 1 to 4 desks in one cluster), the distance between desks and rows, and the distance between desk and facade.

Generative design runs and I get results → 3 solutions. I would aspect to have more solutions. However it never ends the generation and it gets stuck at 1/10.
Sometimes, when I lauch the generation, it gets stuck without creating any results.

In your opinion, is there something wrong with the results? Maybe I formed the problem in the wrong way, and the Generative Design cannot generate correct solutions.

It would be great if someone more experienced could give me some feedback:)

Best regards,

Julia

Hi Julia, Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, but thanks for writing in. I can probably give you some better help if you’re willing to post your graph, but I’d check your input ranges and verify that your problem isn’t too constrained. It may be that the optimization will only give you 3 best options for the variables and goals that you set. I’d also do a test of 50 or 100 randomized runs and make sure certain situations aren’t causing errors. This may also help you determine why certain options are being thrown out in the optimization. Another way you can see this is to export an optimization run and “include discarded” options to understand the options that are being bested during the optimization. If you aren’t varying all the values with the dashed lines there, you can make those turn off as inputs to focus your study more (minor point which won’t effect performance, just might clean up the display a bit.) - Lilli

2 Likes

That’s my guess. You probably have something under-constrained or otherwise have a gap in the design problem that’s returning nulls or infinite loops.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion. I reviewed constraines and outputs and finally it runs:)
Thank you again!

Thank you Lilli, I reviewed constraines and outputs and finally it runs:)
Thank you again!

Great! So happy to hear. Keep in touch - would love to hear more about your workflow and how it effects your design process!

I will post some results when the graph is finished:) Thanks for your support!

1 Like