General question about PC spec

I’m wondering what sort of specifications everyone’s work computers have.

Do bigger and better computers make Dynamo and Revit go faster or do you think that’s not that important (once you’ve got the basic requirements to run the software)?

I’m interested to hear what you all think / what your experiences’ are.

My current workhorse laptop:

i7-6820HQ CPU @2.7 GHz 2.71GHz
16gb RAM
500gb solid state HDD (primary)
500gb mechanical HDD (secondary)
NVIDIA Quadro M1000M graphics card

Not super quick but fast enough - as memory is a common bottleneck in Dynamo it helps me ‘keep things quick’ as I keep memory use in mind as I go.

The work laptop, have to be mobile in my role. :computer:

12th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i7-12800HX, 2000 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s) - Runs at 3.5 GHz most of the time.
96 GB DDR5 RAM (Clock Speeds 4800Mhz)
1 TB SSD
NVIDIA RTX A2000 8GB Laptop GPU
Integrated Active Dual Fans for very important cooling purposes - (No passive cooling here! Does mean the PC is a bit thicker though)

Probably a bit more than a ‘minimum’ build but I frequently max out my processor and RAM with the tasks I am undertaking though :sweat_smile:

In my experience dealing with all kinds of setups across our company, upgrading RAM is the easy win for performance gains. I hate lag with a passion, so an empty slot is a wasted one in my opinion!

1 Like

My office computer has Core i7 8700k,32GB memory,500GB SSD,2T HDD.
My own computer has Core i7 12490F,48GB memory,1TB SSD,8T HDD.

Remember Revit and dynamo can only use one thread,so single thread performance is all it matters.You can check the performance by this two website.

1 Like