Finding outer most (intersecting) grids

We do a lot of large buildings with many columns placed on all grid intersections which to me seems ideal to automate with Dynamo. I’ve managed to create a script which places columns on all our intersecting grids which works as intended.

The columns along the perimeter walls are offset and to take it another step further I would like to isolate the outer grids so I can place columns here with an offset. I’ve not been able to find anything on the forum but I have no doubt its been done before?

Attached is the script I have as starting point, I’m not sure how to proceed further in isolating the outer grids so I can offset columns here.

edit
The reason for isolating the outer most grids is that we place columns (offset) at intersections with a sub-grid, in addition to intersections with the main grids.

Anyone?

Amigo @BJozi buenas. I let you 2 suggestions, normally if you select the grids should appear in lists, using List.FirsItem and List.LastItem should give you the first and last grid that should correspond to the outsiders grids, if this does not work what I think is to evaluate the Start.Point of each curve and find the lowest and highest point in the X or Y coordinates as appropriate, I hope it is useful!!

I don’t think that works as the grids are listed by their ID, the order/sequence they were created in.

I have given this some more thought the last hour and what I think might work is to split the list into horizontal and vertical grids. I was going to do this using the points of each grid, but… All our horizontal/vertical grids are numerical/alphabetical so I can split it easier this way.

Which is this

Now I’m stuck, sorting the list in numerical/alphabetical order and then I can do as you say get the first/last in the list

Amigo Buenas de nuevo. you can also filter by grid name to select them, the issue is to know where to make the offset (+ or -), I don’t see where you can save time, it seems quite a manual process but maybe you can think of something to improve the workflow, good luck!!!

Manually entering the outer grids is probably the way to go about this! The idea is to use DataShapes as well with this and that can be one of the inputs!

Easy to complicate things at times :joy:

I’ve mostly finished this script out. I decided to manually enter the outer grids, I’ll end up doing that with Data-Shapes (as opposed to a code bock). By manually entering N/S/E/W grids I was also able to offset the columns relative to the grids.

1 Like