Finding Difference of Dynamo Bounding Box Minimum point and maximum Point from RevitAPI Bounding box minimum and maximum point

Hi All,

I am Finding Difference of Dynamo Bounding Box Minimum point and maximum Point from RevitAPI Bounding box minimum and maximum point. what I have done wrong. Any solutions for these Thanks.

Are you asking for the Element’s bounding box, or the geometry’s on the Dynamo side? These are two different things and as such may return different results depending on the geometry in question, as Revit’s API works with geometry differently than Dynamo’s. Element.BoundingBox should match though.

If that isn’t the issue in order for the community to help you will need to provide a reproducible dataset including a rvt with just one the failing element in it (delete all model elements except the failing one, delete all materials and views, purge unused 3x) and a dyn with your element binding boxes misaligning.

Sure @jacob.small . I got the bounding box of the Revit solid created from section crop shape and from that trying to find the minimum and maximum point. In that i was getting difference of values when computed through revtiapi and dynamo. I am preparing the files i will be attaching it. Thanks

@jacob.small

ViewBB.dyn (13.3 KB)
I have attached the Files for your reference. I couldnt able to upload the revit file for some reason. I have opened a new revit 2024 project and created one section and given that section as input and ran the script these are the difference i am getting

Looks like you have a transform applied to the bounding box, and so when it’s translated to a Dynamo bounding box with the ToProtoType that transform is being applied to get the box into position. Until that is applied it’s in the view’s coordinate system if memory serves.

3 Likes

@jacob.small May be, but found another method to find the bounding box not from solid directly but from curveloop to avoid these issues & got the points somehow at same bounds which serves my purpose for now. but still not convinced with the transform of that, since I am creating a new solid and taking that new solid boundingbox and from that only I am computing these. Thank you so much for the info.

From what I saw digging into the base content it made sense - querying the properties of the transform associated to the Revit bounding box is what made it clear to me.

Converting the solid into Dynamo instead of the BB may provide more insight.

For what it’s worth it’s usually not a good idea to focus too much on BB conversion - you’ll get much better results staying entirely inside Revit.

1 Like

Yes, got it, but I made a Revit to dynamo conversion is because the Revit bounding box throwed different bounding points as of the solid which is generated, so to visualize that I went to the dynamo types to check whether it is giving me the same results.

1 Like

Yep - the Bounding Box associated to a view is altered to show the ‘depth’ of the view as the Z axis, so the min/max point comparison won’t necessarily be comprehendible until you pass it though the transform.

2 Likes