Filter List By Family Type Name

I have a routine to update room information from a linked model to Furniture in my current model. I can successfully filter my lists by parameter to get the exact furniture I want, but I can’t get figure out how to filter by Family Type Name. For example, if you load the out of the box desk family. It has three types, 60" x 30", 60" x 30" Student and 72" x 36". If all three types are placed in my model multiple times. How can I filter a list to only include the 60" x 30" family type.
Thank you,

@Tim.Howard try this,

If you’re looking to filter a list by the names of the Family Types, you can use the OOTB Element.Name node to retrieve the name of every Family Type in the list.

This can then be used in a comparison to produce a boolean for use in a filter via user input (datashapes package) or via hard coding something in (something like a string.contains node).

I totally get the example you have shown here and have actually tried using the element.name node. The issue I can’t figure out is how to actually filter the list of elements. I can successfully filter by other parameters such as mark or comments… I just can’t figure out how to use the family type name to actually filter the list.

Post your attempt and I’ll review if I get a moment tonight.

Below is the process I am using. I can successfully filter the list by mark, but not by Type. The forum would not allow me to upload my dynamo file.
Thank you,

Take what I had above, then use an == node to creat a test. For the X value you’ll use the results of the element.name node. For the Y value you’ll use a new string node which has the name of the family you’re after. The results of this node will be a series of true/false values.

Next place a list.filterbyboolmask node. The true/false values will serve as the mask. The list of elements from the all elements of category node will serve as the list. It’s important to not shuffle the elements as you go along, otherwise your Boolean values won’t align with the elements.

The IN output will be the elements which had names that matched your target.

The OUT output will be the elements which didn’t match.

This same concept can be used for a variety of things - anything which produces a Boolean value really. Keep it handy as you’ll use it often.

1 Like

Thank you! This worked perfect.

Glad I could help.

Please mark a solution so that others can learn from your post. :slight_smile: