Facing Orientation and Hosted Elements

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to move doors in my model based on doors in another model.
The general idea is to grab the origin of my elements and move them to the origin of the other elements.

I’ve tried to move the element by vector, and also by set locaiton., but both of them failed. (I think the host gets lost.)

My next idea was to try and get the vector of the hosting wall, which would also be related to the vector of the hosted element. My questions are:

1. What does Dynamo recognize as the facing orientation in the family? Is it the normal of the front/back plane?

2. Is there a way to align vectors? It may be that my input vector is not parallel to the wall vector. Not sure how to best approach this, since I am not often working with vectors in this way.

3. Is there a way to pull a point onto a line?

Cheers,
Matt

Just had an idea…maybe I could split the wall line with the doors and grab the 0.5 parameter on the curves and use that value to move the elements.

@m.owens

If you move a wall in revit, does the door move with it?

Yes. The doors are hosted to the wall.

If I try to move the door along a vector, which is likely not parallel with the wall vector, the element must be deleted before revit allows the script to execute.

Move the wall first, then move the door along the walls vector?

I don’t think that will work for me.

I am essentially extracting a vector which is not parallel to the wall. Moving the wall will cause many dimensions to break, which I have a LOT of. (Formwork drawings.)

If I know the answer to my first question:

What does Dynamo recognize as the facing orientation in the family? Is it the normal of the front/back plane?
Then I think I can figure out the vector I need to eliminate. in my translation node. Problem is, I don’t know how it works- Dynamo Dictionary doesn’t give detailed info.

I guess I’ll have to play around, but I’ll post the results here.

After reading up on how vectors work, it looks like this should be a bit easier than I thought.

I’ll post some information after I get further, but please feel free to throw some ideas / tips around if you have any!

Cheers,
Matt