Export to navisworks via Dynamo Player

Hi Alban,

Thanks for sharing I have tried your script and it works well when I run it from the Workspace but it does not work when I am running it from the player. Any idea why is this ?

Many thanks,

Thanks for letting me know.
I will investigate.

1 Like

Hi,

It doesn’t seem possible to export naviswork files with Dynamo Player.
I rewrote my custom node and tried with other package nodes and the nwc files are never created.
So, to export, you will have to open Dynamo every time. :expressionless:

@Alban_de_Chasteigner can you post a VERY simple Revit model and Dynamo graph to test this behavior with? I’ve split this into a new thread as the post is quite old and this issue is rather different.

Original Thread:
https://forum.dynamobim.com/t/export-a-list-of-revit-3d-views-into-nwc-through-python/12953

Hi Jacob,

Thanks for the new topic.
Here are the files to test. I used Revit 2019

This subject probably also concerns:

Export NWC Zhukhoven.dyn (6.9 KB)
Export NWC Data Shape.dyn (6.2 KB)
Export NWC Genius Loci.dyn (10.3 KB)
Test file R19.rvt (3.0 MB)

1 Like

Yep - see those now. I’ll update any resolution to that thread later. Wanted to see if this was a bug with player and need a clean way to track.

1 Like

Hi Alban, thanks for looking into it, I will run it directly from Dynamo in this case. Any suggestion on how I can force the export to happen at the end of my script ? I have used the Passthrough node to sequence the view generation and setting the view properties but for some reason I can t use the same node to make the export to NWC run at the end as you can see below.

Full dynamo script.dyn (28.9 KB)

Try this:

Thanks, just tried it and it creates my view but still not exporting to NWC :frowning:

I got a bit closer now, I managed to make it it work but using some ForceChildrensEval node. But I don t know why the export works when I press run for the 3rd timeFull dynamo script(getting closer).dyn (30.7 KB)

Now I just need to figure it out how to make it work from the first click on Run and I am done with this shit :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey,

So this works first time for me from Player…

In true ‘hack it til you crack it’ style…

I copied the python out from the node to see what was going on (you can see error messages better, double click on the custom node to get into it) turned out I needed a list create in there…

You can see how I’m controlling the order of operations with Passthrough and Transactions.

The weird thing is that the node still doesn’t work. But the Python it contains, does…

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can explain.

It would probably benefit from a filter which checks whether the desired view already exists, and if so, either deletes it or doesn’t create a new one, but I ran out of time.

Hope that’s of interest,

Mark

ExportToNavis-MKA.dyn (32.3 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for the help and the tip on the checking the error messages Mark !

2 Likes

No worries, I’m going to be running a Navis job for the first time in a couple of years so I’m sure I’ll be asking lots of questions!

2 Likes

You will enjoy your Navis experience I am sure :slight_smile: I understood how you linked the Passthrough nodes but not sure what was the reason for those two transaction nodes one after the other. Can you please let me know why was that necessary ?

I hate Navis with a passion :stuck_out_tongue: I’m hoping Dynamo can allow management of clash detection in a reasonable way, previously I just got 10k clashes to individually categorise!

Though for $10 this looks good value…
https://apps.autodesk.com/NAVIS/en/Detail/Index?id=7544208847822212204&appLang=en&os=Win64

And @Luke_Johnson seems to have been working some magic!

When Revit does something (e.g. place a new window), it starts a transaction, does it then ends the transaction.

Usually a Dynamo graph is a single transaction, but in this graph, the transaction nodes mean 2 distinct transactions are executed, one after the other.

This allows Revit to create the new view, bank it, then start the next transaction, (which uses that view) and export it.

Perhaps when a transaction ends, an Id is created which is then necessary for the view export?

You don’t often need to force it like that, but if something is failing where 1 thing is dependent on the other, it’s worth trying. I tend to try the passthrough first.

Hope that’s of interest!

Mark

3 Likes

Yay the Transaction nodes saved me

1 Like

Not sure if this is relevant or already known behavior but the transaction node seems required regardless of whether your graph does anything other than export NWCs.

I.E. my script simply exports a bunch of NWC’s and nothing else. Without the transaction node I can’t run the script in Dynamo Player.