Explanation about nodes in Dynamo apart from Dynamo Dictionary

Hi,
I have recently started learning Dynamo, am trying to get an explanation regarding the nodes outside the Dynamo dictionary definition, for example Math.RemapRange node, it has an explanation in dictionary but could anyone give a simpler casewise explanation on how the node can be used?
Again sorry if this question is very basic…

Hello @Shanikata - The node works as follows:

The node will take in a list of numbers (Any length, any numbers) and allow you to change all those numbers between your chosen lowest number, and your chosen largest number.

It will then take the lowest number in your input list and change that to your chosen lowest number, it will take the largest number in your input list and change that to the your chosen largest number, and all the numbers in between will be mapped (Which means translated in a particular way) to the same relational location in your input list.

This is easiest exemplified by a simple example taking 0 to 10, and remapping this from 0 to 100, as below:

You’ll notice that in this example that we are simply multiplying every value by 10.

Other examples:

3 Likes

Thanks a lot @solamour, this explanation gave me a much better understanding of the node and how it can be used, will have fun experimenting :star_struck: :star_struck:

1 Like

You are most welcome @Shanikata :smiley:

1 Like

To add to Sol’s (great) explanation, the most common task I use this node for is to remap values from the domain of 0 to 1 into a larger domain, or the other way around.

When we assess points along a curve, it has a range of 0 to 1 when we refer to how far along this element the point is placed at. Surface and solid U/V/W domains work in the same way. Very often, this will be used to build other parallel relationships (e.g. how far along a color gradient that value represents, which has a range of 0 to 255).

If you happen to have Grasshopper experience, it is effectively the same function as the remaprange node there as well, and we refer to numbers within domains specifically there as well.

2 Likes