Excel xyz points to profile view staoff labels- modifiy to add blocks

Still new to all this, I was able to use a sample posted that placed profile view labels from block locations.
I modified that to just read an excel file. I’d like to know if it’s possible to somehow place blocks in the profile view or even mtext point id label. if possible, I’d like to ultimately insert just the point Id in the profile view and have the insert read the column for layer to be placed on based on description.

Any idea if this is something that can be done with dynamo.

Thank you,

points to profile.xlsx (15.6 KB)
points to profile.dwg (1.2 MB)
EXCEL XYZ-POINTS TO PROFILEStaElevLabels.dyn (90.7 KB)

I believe camber has nodes for this! I’ll take a look when I find some time.

@jcoon

I believe I improved the clarity of the original script significantly as I went through and made sure I understood it. I’m attaching my updates to the original script for your reference. It still just pulls excel data and uses that to place the labels, independent of the cogo points in the drawing.
EXCEL XYZ-POINTS TO PROFILEStaElevLabels-SWEdit.dyn (114.4 KB)

Sorry I’m having trouble understanding exactly what your goal is here.

What you’re looking to do is?:
1.) Select cogo points with select tool OR select cogo points by point id?
2.) Place blocks in profile view in corresponding location.
3.) Add profile station elevation labels with overrides that contain the station, offset, northing easting and elevation. Or just add MTEXT labels that only label the corresponding cogo point ID?
4.) “read the column for layer to be placed on based on description” What do you mean by read the column? You mean pull excel file data or just look at a cogo point’s description to chose the layer of the block that is placed in the profile view?

Thanks Shaun,

Sorry for not detailing my end goal better. I happened upon a sample for labeling profile views, so I thought if I could possibly get it to label from excel, I might have something I could work on to develop a procedure to insert blocks and mtext labels with id into a profile view. currently I use cogo points projection to profile views, while that works, its slow to insert and stylize when you have many different types of blocks styles you want to display, and it’s a pain having to move the points and point groups into all the drawings you want to show these points in. so, if I already have all points in excel, maybe I could insert and style the points, blocks or labels faster with this method, if I could get it all to work it would save a lot of time, and editing would be much easier.

Yeah the sample drawing has points, blocks and circles in it. that was my fault, I was going to test with all of them if the excel method didn’t work, I just left them in. The script, I did nothing to clean it up, all I did was test excel insert.

I still have not idea the limits of dynamo and civil 3D, many of the things I’d like to do with this program fall short because its not the way I want them to work, so I’m trying to learn how to use what dynamo can do better and apply that to a new way of looking at the tasks I’m trying to automate or improve on.

attached shows points in profile view that are above surface with point id that correspond to the table pdf.

profileCapture1.pdf (99.6 KB)
profileCapture2.pdf (89.9 KB)
profileCapture3.pdf (69.8 KB)

1 Like

Shaun,

When I open your dynamo file I don’t see the graph, could you try to repost or is it a version thing?
I’m on 2020

I’ve been noticing this issue with dynamo for c3d 2023. I just tried opening it in 2022 and noticed the same issue. There is no version control on dynamo files it seems though so not sure what I can do besides share the images below.

I understand now. Thanks for clarifying. I will send something over soon.

So I believe what you want is actually pretty simple, but if I’m missing anything please tell me. You can use to bool toggles to turn on and off the annotation of the point number and the description.
BlocksAndMleadersFromExcelToProfile.dyn (164.1 KB)

points to profile.dwg (1.6 MB)
points to profile.xlsx (15.6 KB)

Shaun,

The video clip looks like you hit the bulls eye. it’s going to take me a bit to redo the graph, I’m still new at this. Lets see if I can get this to work. Thanks so much for your help. This will open up some doors for other things I’d like to try. I’ll get back to you when I get this working.

Thank you

1 Like

No problem.

Reach out if you have any issues or need guidance for labeling anything else or want to use station elevation labels instead of Mleaders. I need an excuse to play with the Camber nodes for profile station elevation labels anyway.

Sure thing, thank you

This is wierd and shouldn’t be happening. It does opens well for me in 2022. You say you’ve seen this happen ? Can you open a new thread and share a video for example ?

Will do. Yes, I’ve noticed that if I create a script in Dynamo for Civil 3D 2023 and open it in an older version it will sometimes be blank. Seems that John is having the same issue.

hi @WrightEngineering

My English is not very good. I don’t know if I can explain the subject, I apologize in advance if it is not understood…
I want to develop a little more on the dyn you made…
I can add the surface model on the profile, I can add the cogopoints with what you did.
For example, if we can add polyline and a few other objects, I think it will be better.
Thanks…

No worries on the english. Perhaps just use google translate. It should be good enough.

if we can add polyline and a few other objects, I think it will be better.

I’m sure polylines can be added, but what polylines do you want added? Do you want the projection of 3d polylines to be added to the profile? Do you want them labeled? I would need a specific example of what you need to help out. Can you post images / a dwg file / ect?

Abdullahcicek,

I currently use cogo point by projection but if was difficult moving the points between all the dwgs I was needed to project points in, and also switch layers and symbols.

But if you used the excel as the point insert id maybe add points could be done just as fast. I like this new one, just need of get the time of make the graph from Shaun’s images.

hi @WrightEngineering
This is the dyn file I use, if you examine it…
I want to show all objects in profile…
I couldn’t send it because my dwg file is big. You can draw any profile and ; line, polyline, block, etc. I want to add objects to profile…

PROFILE_ADD_OBJECTS-04.1.dyn (4.5 MB)

You can share a google drive or drop box with a dwg. You will need to be a bit more complete and specific in what you want to project to profile view. It depends on what you are trying to project.

@WrightEngineering

3d polyline , blocks etc…

Hi Shaun,

Sorry for not getting back sooner, was on vacation. I have the graph almost done except I don’t seem to find the blockreference. create block reference module attached. where is that located?
Thank you,

blockref