Dynamo Skribt Add Parameter to Mass or Model in Place

Dear members, I have a question and I hope someone can help me:

“I have modeled ten Mass"Model in Place” in my project, and for each Mass, I want to add some parameters. These parameters should not be assigned to the ‘Mass’ category, but to the objects modeled as Mass, because the parameters vary between the bodies. It takes a long time to open each Mass and add the parameters. Is there a script I can use to assign the parameters to the objects? Thank you very much for the help."

Add the f parameters to your family template, then convert each mass to a new loadable family, load the family in, replace the in-place mass with the loadable one, and set the parameters accordingly.

Then never use in place family authoring again.

1 Like

thank you very mush for your answer but can you tell me how to convert a Mass to a new loadable family

Via the UI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpQ9n4jlJtM

If you only had a few of these I’d use that method, but 10 is a bit much. Save the link for next time out though.

Via Dynamo:

1. Use a Select model Elements to get the selection of masses you want to move over.
  2. Use an Element.Solids node to get the solid geometry of each mass into Dynamo
  3. Use a Solid.ByUnion node to convert the collections of solids into a single solid for each mass.
  4. Use a FamilyType.ByGeometry node to generate a new family type.
  5. Use a Geometry.BoundingBox node to pull the bounding box from each solid.
  6. Use a BoundingBox.MinPoint node to pull the minimum point of each bounding box.
  7. Use a FamilyInstance.ByPoint node to create an instance of each new family type (4) at the associated min point (6).

Note that you may need to scale your unioned solid to match the units. Once you confirm you have two copies of the solid on top of each other - one for the loadable family and one for the in place - delete the in place family.

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like