Dynamo Script Description on Dynamo Player

Hello All,

We have a few .dyn files which do quite different things from one another, and we were wondering if there is a way we could add a description (in dynamo player) to what the graph does like how a node within Dynamo has a description or a function in say Python has docstring?

Currently, I don’t see an option to include something like this if there is any.

If someone point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

In Revit 2023 you can add a description and even a thumbnail:

Here the examples from autodesk:

2 Likes

Thanks @leonard.moelders for the update. I didn’t know of this as I am using 2022 version.
Any idea if the descriptions are also visible in lower CAD versions?

I don’t know as I don’t edit my scripts in Revit 2023 as it can happen, depending on the script, that I can’t edit them in lower versions anymore, due to the cause that nothing is shown in the editor then. I don’t know if this is a general problem, but it occurs on some of my .dyn-files.

Thats what I thought. Thanks for letting me know.

They arent. These days dynamo updates tend to only make it to the current revit version unfortunately.

It does seem like that. Thanks anyway.

1 Like

For anyone trying to figure out how to do this (I didn’t seem to be able to find it in the help and it wasn’t immediately obvious to me):

The “Description” that is displayed in Revit 2023’s Dynamo Player and newer is part of the graph’s “Properties”. To display and edit the properties:

In the main menu at the top of the screen, choose “Extensions”, then “Show Graph Properties”. A side panel will show up where you can edit the description and place an image file via drag and drop.

Thanks @Joe.Charpentier for the update. Any idea if the properties would show up on dynamo player as for me it is not displaying the text/image although I have edited the properties.

Are you running the script in 2023 or higher? That will be necessary for it to work generally.

1 Like

Yes I am on 2023. Ideally I feel it should be displaying in the dynamo player as an information.

1. Are you sure you’re looking at the right .dyn file? if you’ve got some sort of cloud mirroring setup you often won’t be as such tools break things.
  2. Restart the system and see if that fixes it - you may be looking at a cached version of the graph.
  3. Make sure you’re on the latest build and remove other add-ins (they can cause conflicts)
  4. Post a sample dyn with propoerties added and a journal from a Revit session which quickly reproduced the issue, a screenshot of player where the properties didn’t display. Others can confirm if it’s working for us which narrows it down to an environment thing (which is why the Journal may help).

Sure @jacob.small I will try to restart and check once, although I am using dynamo for C3D. Would that be the case why it is not displaying?

yep. Try 2024.

1 Like

although I am using dynamo for C3D

My apologies for misleading you! I am a Revit guy, so I have no knowledge of how Dynamo player features progress in other Adesk programs.