Dynamo Sandbox without Revit - current status?

Hi Sol,

Thanks for your response.

To ‘circumvent’ company IT I tried to get things working on my personal laptop yesterday too but unfortunately with the same result. Having seen the installation of one of the Autodesk packages as the main solution I did install Formit as well as Sandbox but unfortunately still get errors.

The first error upon trying to generate a circle following the primer after ‘installation’ concerns missing dll’s, I have found I can fix that by copying the dll’s out of one of the folders in the Zip (libg_227_0_0) to the same folder as the executable. This worked on both machines.

The second error notes the node requires integers, this error persists even after attaching number input nodes and as far as I can figure from trawling fora is caused by the missing geometry link. The exact same error occurs on both machines as well as after installing Formit. I installed Formit before unpackaging sandbox and used 7zip as one of the fora suggested some of the other unzip packages might cause issues.

I may misunderstand the purpose of the sandbox version but thought it was meant as a standalone intro and means for people to familiarize themselves with visual programming and Autodesk’s approach. Much as I like to tinker I will not be using e.g Revit myself anymore but want to understand the basic workings of Dynamo to be able to better communicate with the modellers and help ‘translate’ some of my experience into a structured program. Offering Dynamo Sandbox standalone seemed like Autodesk was trying to increase the appeal of the wider offering.

The time spent on figuring out how to get things working has at least shown me that Dynamo basically uses Python objects and that will help me some in trying to structure the problems but I think it would be useful if I could go beyond section 2 of the Primer, I get the concept of the programming method but don’t fully understand some of it yet. Practice and trial and error are always good educators.

The fact I can find quite a few discussions on the same topic on several fora spanning several years and referring to different versions of Sandbox suggests this is not a new issue and is regularly recurring, hence my comment on it ‘breaking’ after an update, I have to admit I don’t have first hand experience on this with Dynamo.

I am no IT expert but also no complete ignorant and usually manage to get things working after enough trials and a good curse but I fear I am stuck on this one.

Regards,

Jeroen