Dynamo proccesing time insanely slow

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to ask if anyody knows what makes the Dynamo processing so slow? and ask if Dynamo team is working on improving that.

I’m using some scripts (not to complex, although using geometry clashes) in order to automate tasks and gain time in my workflows, but when i run the scripts they take ages to run, so that it make them useless as i end up losing all the time i would have gained…

I don’t use a super powerful computer, but it is still an i9 with 32G RAM,

thank you so much!
Jns

How many geometry comparisons are you making?

Script complexity is one thing, but generating geometry in Dynamo space from Revit content can be quite taxing. Anecdotally, avoid comparisons in the range of of thousands against thousands unless you plan on getting lunch.

As a general recommendation, try to filter down your geometry comparisons as much as possible to reduce the load. Or, use a method that does not require creating the geometry in Dynamo space (I think bimorphs package has a clash node that works that way).

1 Like

Hello Robert, and thanks for the quick feedback!

In this case i’m actually comparing how many rooms (already filtered by rooms without false ceiling) are clashing with MEP ducts and pipes (and in this case is true that there are quite a few elements…)

My goal is to find how many rooms with no false ceiling have visible MEP. My last try is been already running for an 1:30 and still counting.

I will give a try with the Bimorphs nodes.

thanks again,
Jns

What version of Dynamo and revit are you using because it is worth noting that Dynamo has had some changes over the versions to the latest version to increase performance.

Every node in dynamo has some computation time to display the geometry, therefore switching to a code block or Python can help this. Though do note that it will be wise to use garbage collection techniques in python nodes to clear up things as well.

If you cannot do any of the above other techniques is to only get the geometry for elements you need and only clash elements you want to try as every item clashing against all other items will have a performance hit as it checks them.