Dynamo Advance Steel - Solid Geometry not visible in UI

Hi All,
Relatively new to using dynamo, and its advance steel interface.
Im using Advance Steel 2022 with Dynamo AS 2.10.1.672
I’ve created a cylinder using the Geometry>Cylinder nodes provided in dynamo. It is visible in the dynamo interface and I would like to instantiate this as an AutoCAD solid rather than using Advance Steel node.
Is there a way of instantiating it within the drawing as an AutoCAD solid using native dynamo components and or a plug in?

Thanks in advance.

Object.ByGeometry

Thanks for the reply Daan.
Unfortunately that command is not available in the Dynamo AS interface. It must be used in the Revit Dynamo or Civil 3D.

@danny-mack You can check out Hosts of the Dynamo Party where @jacob.small goes over a light touch into Advance Steel and Dynamo.

@jacob.small any thoughts on getting base Dynamo geometry into Advance Steel?

2 Likes

Sorry about that, I thought that was an universal node for .dwg-files

Not sure if there is an easy way to do this in the application as it currently is built, but I’ll check into it on Monday (getting some family time in this weekend).

If not you could look into Python based methods for creating objects in Dynamo for Civil 3D - anything base AutoCAD should transfer directly.

1 Like

Thanks Jacob.
Do you mean that I should use Civil 3D and Dynamo to create the objects that I want or that I can replicate how Civil3D/Dynamo does it with a python script in Dynamo for Advance Steel? I currently don’t have access to Civil 3D but I’m working on it.

I would look into the Python and other API call methods used to create the shape in Dynamo for Civil 3D, and then re-interpret those into the advance steel integration; The core AutoCAD api (what you’re trying to do) is the same in both, so the code used to make a [solid, line, circle, arc, polyline, mesh, etc.] should be the same in both (in theory anyways).

Thanks Jacob. I’ve looked into this a little more and I am unable to find a decent example of using a node to call the AutoCAD API , would you know of any online resource or have an example dyf or dyn calling a simple shape up?

I’ll look at putting a cuboid into the environment later this week. Can you tell me which version of AS you’re in?

Thanks Jacob, much appreciated. I’m using Advance Steel 2022.

1 Like

Hey Jacob. Did you by any chance have time to look at creating a cuboid in the ACAD environment?

1 Like

I did, and it’s a bit more than I had time to get though before BILT which starts tomorrow. It’s on my list though.

Know that you’ll need to learn some pretty significant Python skills to keep up. We do have a community conversation coming up on the 30th which would be a good opportunity to indicate to the team why more nodes for these features are needed in the advance steel space.