Deciding Which Node to Use?

Rookie question: What is the logic in deciding which node to use when there are several that do more or less the same thing? For instance - there is a View.IsTemplate node in Clockwork, and a View.IsTemplate in the OOTB nodes. Off the top of my head there are several iterations nodes to get & set parameters (case insensitive & type/instance are at least mostly obvious.)
Thank
Cristiano

Hi,

Try to check the description of each node. For instance, you can see the difference between those two nodes here :

or here : (Aide is French for Help)

The best way would be to test the nodes yourself and try to see what are their differences and if they do exactly what you intended them to do. There is no general rule :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Usually, there aren’t 2 nodes which do exactly de same, like @mellouze pointed out.

But if so, I would go for OOTB (the other one will probably sooner or later deprecated) or the simpler one.

Hey,

Just my opinion, others are more qualified than me :slight_smile:

As recommended above, I tend to go with OOTB to reduce the impact of depreciation.

I think you’ll find a custom node has been made because the OOTB version lacks some functionality. You then need to judge if the benefit is useful to you.

Recently I found the OOTB ScopeIf caused my graph to crash, however the Clockwork version works great. Also I am able to dig inside, learn how it works and potentially customise the workings, even if it were to depreciate.

If a couple of different packages have the same custom nodes, I’d go for the package with the most downloads and as above, one that I can look at under the hood (though it seems the majority of packages are going zero touch).

Just my two cents,

Mark

1 Like

Just a clarification, the OOTB scopeif will only work having a single scopeif pr. graph, as this unique node does not run the path prior to the condition not chosen, that is what makes your graph crash and why scopeif most times is used in connection with/in custom nodes :slight_smile:
The clockwork scopeif+ is a simple conditional statement and has nothing to do really with the functionality of OOTB scopeif :slight_smile:

Indeed, not to hijack the thread :smile:

1 Like