Curve.PointsAtEqualChordLength changes/bug

@solamour @jacob.small has there been any changes to the Curve.PointsAtEqualChordLength node?

In Dynamo 2.6 (Revit 2021), I get this - 2 points when the divisions is 2:

In Dynamo 2.18.1 (Revit 2024.1), I get this - 1 point when the divions is 1:

Have I done something wrong or has the node been changed?

I haven’t utilized the node to know. Can you confirm this behavior change in a simple graph (same making a Dynamo line and divide by points) so that we can submit as a bug for the right team (Revit or Sandbox)?

The node has not been changed to my knowledge - @Aparajit_Pratap any thoughts here?

Yes, this node has changed (for the better). We have fixed most legacy issues with the node (in 2.16) and although it might break existing graph results, the results should now be as one would expect the behaviour to be for such a node.

@Aparajit_Pratap Looking at the release notes, I don’t see this mentioned anywhere. Or have I missed something?

I thought the point of semantic versioning, is that our graphs shouldn’t break? While this hasn’t technically broken the graph, it has changed the output but there is no notification of doing so. This makes it really hard to manage the upgrade process.

1 Like

@Paul_Wintour I agree, we could have done a better job with our release notes and/or release announcements.

This change and a few others to other Curve and PolyCurve nodes were made in Dynamo 2.16 as part of larger improvements and bug fixes to support these kinds of operations. An unfortunate aspect of legacy bugs is that when they are present for a long time, they turn into features in some sense and that is what has happened here. I agree these changes do introduce risk in terms of affecting existing graphs and user workflows but we needed to make this conscious decision simply because the legacy issues needed to be fixed sooner than later. I suppose this could be said about any bug fixes in general.

However, I can see where you’re coming from - we should have done a better job of notifying users ahead of time and preparing them for the incoming changes and how they could affect them. I’ll work with @solamour and the team on improving this. If there are still bugs that you see in the new behaviour then please let us know and we’ll be happy to fix it.

1 Like