Create points in Revit from End Points of AutoCAD Line Imports

Hi everyone,

I have been given this skeleton with a set of irregular profiles in a series as a dwg file (please see attached images and dwg file). I am supposed to recreate these profiles in Revit and then loft them to get a solid.

This is the process I followed:
Step 1: Import the Autocad file in the Conceptual Mass family.
Step 2: Make reference planes aligned to each profile
Step 3: Set each reference plane as host and make points on the ends of each segment making the autocad profile
Step 4: Make “line through points” in the required fashion to recreate the profile
Step 5: Repeat Step 3 and 4 till all profiles are done
Step 6: Loft to recreate solid

This method is extremely tedious and has some inaccuracies based on my ability and patience to snap the points at the end of each segment. This is where I was hoping Dynamo could automate some of these steps.

I am new to Dynamo so I am not sure of its capabilities but here is how I was hoping it might help.

Step 1: Locate the coordinates of the end points of all the segments of the the imported AutoCAD file.
Step 2: Place points on each of those end points
Step 3: Help me host the points based on reference planes I have already placed aligned to each profile (I know this might be a stretch)

From that point on, the process of recreating the profile would have to be manual. I would have to select the order in which I need the “line through points” to be to replicate the profile and then loft to create the solid.

Am I thinking correctly? Is that possible in Dynamo? I would much appreciate if anyone would share the nodes in Dynamo that could do this and also point me in the right direction of how to go about creating the visual script.

Thank you in advance for your help.

As I am new to this forum, I am not allowed to add attachments. So please click on the dropbox link below to see the images and the sample files associated with this.

Thank you for your help

Virat

@virat_manchanda1 This should give you an idea.
However, haven’t tested it as it’s taking too long to process on account of the multiple segments in the polycurve
ImportProfiles.dyn (9.6 KB)

Hi Vikram,

Thank you so much for your response and your effort. I will have a chance to study it later this week and will definitely get back to you with the results.

Thanks again

Virat

1 Like

How about LOFT in AutoCAD, ACISOUT, and import that geometry?

2 Likes

Brought into a Family:

Forum Curve.rfa (580 KB)

1 Like

Hi Vikram,

My apologies for responding late to your helpful answer. I tried your node but was unsuccessful. I did some research and found out about the Direct Shape Node in Dynamo. Is this node something that might help? If so, can you please guide me to some information form where I can learn how to use it? I have checked the web in general and youtube and have found examples with hard coding which I don’t understand.

Thank you again for your much appreciated help.

Virat

Hi Truevis,

thank you for your response. The main requirement of my client is that they want a Revit native geometry so yout solution of lofting in AutoCAD will not be acceptable to them. Also, the lofting has to be seamless for all the sections and not in a form where the objective is represented as consecutive lofts between two sections. I am not sure if your logic can create that continuous loft, but from the images, it seemed that it worked between 2 consecutive sections.

Thank you for your help and I will appreciate any new insights that you might have.

Virat

Try lofting between all the profiles in ACAD. I’m not going to do all your work for you :slight_smile:

I’m just mentioning a possibility of how to accomplish what you may want.

Thank you for your response. Now my work begins :slight_smile: