Counting Plumbing Fixtures for each pipe (Upgrade)

Hi guys,

I posted a topic about counting plumbing fixture last year but I haven’t had any answer about it.
I don’t understand if this is because it’s not possible to do it or it’s because it’s too complicate…

Please see my previous topic:

Can anyone give me a help please?
Thanks again for your help guys… I really appreciate it :slight_smile:

1 Like

What have you tried in the two years or so since the last post? Any ‘bad ideas’ you’ve tested out to some degree would help.

Can you share a Revit 2017 or older model with that type of a base dataset, and all connections properly made? Ensure they have flow going the right way and are connected back to the supply and all that jazz.

I’m not on the systems side of things so this would be a very low priority for me to spend too much time on.

While I don’t think this is impossible, you would need an understanding of the Revit API to get this to work. I have 2 nodes in my MEPover package that you could break open that might get you started as they do kind of the same thing (iterate over a connected network) but with ducts. You’ll need to have an understanding of python though.

@T_Pover, looking over your package was exactly where I was going to start. :smiley: exactly where I was going to start.

If that didn’t work I was going to consider getting connected pipes and fittings by using matching endpoints/startpoint pairings. When I got to the fixture was going compare that point to the open endpoints of fixtures. If they all align then they are connected (or you have a garbage model).

Any luck on this? I am just starting to look into doing something similar.

Hi. I’m also trying to create a script that counts the number of toilets that connected to a pipe.

My thoughts were to first select all plumbing fixtures, filter out everything but the toilets and then follow the connected pipes and fittings all the way to were it stops.

Along the way I would have a parameter called “Number of toilets” that would be +1 one as it followed the path from the toilet at the start.

I came across this thread and was wondering if you have a reverse version of your “Pipe upstream components”?

A reverse version of that node is not really possible because when you traverse a piping netwerk along the downward flow then you will eventually encounter branches that are not part of the main pipe run. So in that case the Elements in Connected Network node might work better, but it’s all really dependent on the way the model is set up if it will work. So I’m sorry to say I can’t really provide a solution here.

OK. Thank you for an informative answer.

How do you sort out the side branches from the main pipe in the upstream node?

By checking the flow direction of the connected pipes. If that flow direction is in the opposite direction then it must be a downstream pipe.

Do you use Fixture Units in your projects? You could easily setup FUs in your toilet families and let Revit calculated the total connected toilets for you.

Thanks for all the answer. I’m fairly new to Dynamo so I don’t know what you mean by FU’s.
I think I could create a script that would count all the toilets in a network using the Elements in connected network and sorting out the toilets.

What I was hoping to create was a script that could start at a given plumbing fixture, toilet or air valve, and then go downstream from that element and along the way it would ad +1 to number of toilets connected to pipe or it would ad check of for “ventilated” if it was downstream of an air valve.

Fixture Units (FU) are in Revit. You assign a number of FU to a fixture type and they propagate through the connected system to tell you how many FU are in any selected pipe. For your case, you could give every toilet 1 FU. Therefore any pipe would calculate the number of connected toilets for you. I’d suggest looking into it.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip. I’m using MagiCAD for Revit that calculate the flow so I got that one covered.
But it does not specify how many of each type of plumbing fixture are connected to a given pipe and the norwegian standard that we use has a limit on the total amount of toilets that flows into a given pipe.

I will look into Fixture Units.

This is great timing, because I think it has very good potential for helping me with the following issue:

Hi, just checking back to see if there’s any advancements. I’m actually planning to try my luck. I posted a workflow in this post which I guess was a random idea.

Instead of the pipe upstream, I’m trying to take elements connected to the network and subtract the elements upstream. With that list I can use get elements connected to the connector and compare if it is a plumbing fixture. This I guess can give me the list of fixtures connected. What do you all think?