Corridor frequencies

I’m still a newb when it comes to Dynamo: I haven’t used it directly for any project work, but I have gone through a good bit of the primer and watched numerous videos and have done tons of fiddling around with it just for my own edification. So I’ve got some broad familiarity, but no real usable routines that I can apply (yet).
So I thought I would approach trying to learn it differently: start with a real world problem that I’ve experienced, and explore if I can actually work out a solution in Dynamo.

Problem: When modeling a roadway corridor for residential subdivisions, I combine a corridor surface for the roadway with feature lines for the lots and ditches between lots to create a final top of grade surface. In order to get the ditches to model correctly and have nice contours, I must add 2 corridor frequencies at every ditch. Does Dynamo offer any methods and nodes to help automate this process?
(See attached snap shots which illustrate the problem.)

Before we get any deeper into the problem, I suppose the first question I would ask is if Dynamo even has any nodes which facilitate the editing of corridors in such a manner (adding frequencies)?

Hi @jameshitt,

First, you’ll need to get the Civil 3D Toolkit package because there are no OOTB nodes to do what you’re describing. Look under the CorridorExtensions shelf for the nodes to add stations to corridors, baselines, or regions. So your workflow would look like this:

1. Use Alignment.StationOffsetByPoint or Baseline.StationOffsetByPoint to get the stations of each lot line

2. Add the stations to the corridor using CorridorExtensions.AddStationToCorridor, CorridorExtensions.AddStationToBaseline, or CorridorExtensions.AddStationToRegion

3. Rebuild the corridor with Corridor.Rebuild

2 Likes

Of course! I have the Civil3D Toolkit, but not the latest version, so its missing exactly the corridor nodes you’re listing. I was searching through it and couldn’t find what I was looking for.

Thanks so much for your help. I plan on making more specific real-world-problem-related posts like this, but I certainly don’t expect anyone to just spoon-feed the solution. If I can just get a recommended node to check out, or even a heads-up that it might not be something Dynamo can take care of yet, that will make all the difference in the world. I can read and watch tutorials all day long, but I’m only going to learn it if I start solving problems that I actually run into.
Thanks again, @mzjensen !

2 Likes

I can’t thank you enough again. I haven’t had this much fun with work in a long time!
Still in progress, but its coming along well. I am a little stumped with a list issue; I posted it on the List/Logic category since it really seemed to belong there, just in case you felt like taking a look:

Well, here is the final product. Works like a charm! Thanks for your help! I learned more in the past few hours than than in many weeks and months of reading and watching videos. This Dynamo stuff is extremely satisfying.
CorridorFrequenciesByFeatureLineSelection.dyn (70.3 KB)

2 Likes