Copy/Paste between files

Is there any way to copy/paste between 2 separate dynamo files? The more scripts I develop the more similar workflows I have and it would be nice to be able to copy/paste them.

Thanks

The standard ctrl+c ctrl+v works.

1 Like

Not trying to be snarky, but I know how to copy/paste. How do you do that between 2 separate scripts.

When I have one script open and then try to open a second one it closes the first one. Is a trick to having 2 scripts open at the same time so you can copy/paste between them?

Yes…copy from your open dyn…close down open the file you wanna copy to and just paste…think thats the only way

Convert one of the .dyn files to a .dyf, and back again when done.

3 Likes

I will give this a try. If it works I might just keep a .dyn file in my folder as a source for templates

Or just leave it as a dyf. If you’re finding yourself using similar workflows in multiple graphs then try creating a generic custom node that can be reused.

2 Likes

For this I usually suggest making starter scripts then replacing the sample scripts with them. You then have starter templates available.

As @sovitek said you can copy/close/open/paste also. For me thats usually fine given the scripts will both be in recent files.

2 Likes

yes thats how i handle it to…its just the fastest way for me on the fly…:wink:

1 Like

Have you tried converting those starter scripts to .dyfs and just packaging them for easy access?

The average user I support wouldn’t understand how to work with a dyf unfortunately. Having a starter down on the right is much easier for them I’ve found and also is easy to deploy via a batch script to replace the starter scripts.

Even if given as a “you can copy and paste content from here to there” and nothing more? To me the 30 seconds of documentation on how to do that would save a LOT of time over teaching them to save, close, open, copy, close, open, paste as you’d just have “open, copy, switch windows, paste”.

Oh it’s much easier they just open the sample script, save as, and theyre off to the races. We did try introducing them to dyf files before and it didn’t go down well. 400pax firm so on average most people are beginner at best, and might look at wiki videos if I’m lucky.