Copy linked levels to current view and rename ones on same level

OK I am having a hard time getting my head around this one. We have 2 different templates a schematic design template and the construction document. once the SD is complete we copy it into the CD and run with it. Here are the steps.

1. we use tool to select all the elements and record all of their phases
  2. Open up the new CD template and link in the SD project.
  3. Manually rename and create the Levels to match what is in the SD (Need to do this because if you bind in a link with the levels included it creates 2 different levels at say 0,0)
  4. Bind in the Link without including the levels.
  5. ungroup the previous linked file (binding creates a group for moving)
  6. run the utility to place all the elements on the same phase as it was in the SD.

That’s it. not that hard but I tell you people cannot follow directions and keep messing it up. this process works fine but I want some way to automate the manual renaming and creating of the levels.

I have 2 dynamo scrips right now to run on the source and 1 on the target to achieve the proper phases .

Thanks in advancelevels.dyn (18.1 KB)

Level.ByElevationAndName accepts a list of Elevations and a list of Names to produce multiple levels. You can Element.GetParameterValueByName off of your watch node to retrieve both of these lists from your linked model list of levels.

In this approach the levels would be unassociated with the linked model (no copy/monitor relationship).

Cool got is started. but why is the levels not Floor related (Blue) they are just referenced levels. is there a way to make them floor related?

You will have to make new views based on the new levels. This is not an automatic thing that happens.

So is that a no or can you make the views with the levels. I know I can make views and levels but can you tie them in together?

You can. Out of the box, Dynamo has a few view creation options. Try searching the client using “ByLevel”, you have have to use multiple nodes if you want floor plans, ceiling plans, structural plans, renaming the plans you just made, etc… the next few steps tend to be more specific to your workflows, naming conventions, and intended use.

1 Like

Why start in a new file instead of bringing in what you need? In my opinion there is much better data fidelity in a method like below as views in your SD model don’t have to me recreated so data can’t be lost or corrupted on copy-paste.

• E-transmit project to a new directory and archive the old one.
  • Clean up warning and model health issues.
  • Purge all unused content (hit enter on your number pad after starting the command 5 times or so).
  • Import the content in your CD template that is required (ie: transfer standards, insert view from file and grab all views if you have purged what isn’t required everywhere).
  • Use a ‘copy from file’ graph which leverages a background open method to bring over what you don’t get by the above.
2 Likes

Jacob
the two templates are totally different sheet setups for the client. also we have other clients that use their own templates sent to us. I am trying to kill 2 birds with 1 stone your way would work in a perfect start new approach but we dont have that option. Oh and I am linking in the revit file to the new template not copying like in the title. oops. Thanks

have not tried etransmit because it is not in my Revit 2019 it is in my Revit 2021 however. will give it a try

OK back on this lol
I got it to make the new Views and levels but now the big issue both templates have elements linked to level 0’-0" so when I remake the levels I dont want to repeat levels that are in the same location just rename them then skip them before the new ones are created. here is where I am right now.

Levels - 2.dyn (44.5 KB)

Primary objective is to rename the levels that are on the same elevation to the Levels that are linked

I know this is a slightly different question but it’s hard to follow when you go back and forth between posts.

The straight forward solution is to compare elevations and match names. It gets trickier when you have different elevations. What do you expect to happen when that happens?

Sorry was just trying to break it down into parts because wasn’t getting anywhere on the other one. All I want to do is get a Revit file from a different client’s project into our template. here is the manual step by step way and how I was trying to get dynamo to help with the time.

1. Open the project file that needs linked in.
  2. add phasing IDs to all the elements (this allows me to set all the elements to the right Phase after it is bound)
  3. link in the Revit project to the new template file.
  4. Recreate all the levels and heights (case sensitive) and if it has views attached to them.
  5. Bind the project (Without the Levels) so they stick to the newly created levels.
  6. Ungroup the project.
  7. Run the script to put all the elements on the correct phase.

SO right now, I have the upfront part worked out with the appropriate phasing (Step 1 and 7)
Also got it to create the views (somewhat lol)

P.S. not a python script writer which doesn’t help the matter.

OK have 3 and 4 completed with this link lol getting closer